Wind Direction. GRRRRR!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JustWood

Minister of Fire
Aug 14, 2007
Arrow Bridge,NY
Have been burning wood at my current location for 14 years. The only time I have draft problems is when the wind comes from the south which is NORMALLY only maybe 10 days in the fall and spring. We have had average temps for the last 60 days in which I have been burning 24/7 ( If it was colder and I was burning hotter I don't think I would be having problems). The wind has been coming from the south about 90% of the time causing creosote buildup and puffing when the forced draft kicks on. I have had to clean the chimney every 5-7 days for the last 2 months and it's getting old fast ( I usually only have to clean the chimney 2-3 times per winter). I've tried caps and they only make the problems worse. The wood I'm burning is mostly Beech 1-2.5 years dry. The stove is a woodchuck forced air furnace. I've never had problems like this but I've never seen the wind out of the south so much bringing 15-30 degree temps with it. Any suggestions to remedy this problem would be appreciated.

do like the oldtimers.. Handful of newspapers every morning.. Build up a high flaming fire daily..You will eliminate creosote before it can get thick and nasty.
I was a volunteer firefighter for 20 years.. rarely ever had a flue fire at older folks homes.. They usually let their fires go out at night and rekindle it in the am.. Where the younger generation likes to smolder our fires at night..
If you look at it this way. 50 pounds of firewood will make x amount of btus..So if the stove smolders for 8 hours or burns it up making heat in 5 and then is out.. The same amount of btus has been released into the home. How tight and well insulated the home is will make some difference I suppose.

Is you chimney height close to or just high enough ? I know mine drove me nuts before we took it up another 3 feet
Guy

Status
Not open for further replies.