Wind directional cap, stove performance and draft effects

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdonna

Feeling the Heat
Dec 16, 2008
mn
Hey,

Anyone out there have any experience and/or run a wind directional cap?

Has it stabilized your draft or made it more consistent? Or has it just blocked wind down drafts? How has your stove ran since installing one?

I am contemplating trying one out.

Thanks!

No, but sounds interesting.
Got a picture of one?
I'm thinking they have to be able to rotate with the wind, & might have to be cleaned often & moving parts wear.

ICC offers them. Also called "rooster tails", yes they twist and turn to always face away from the wind. Have always worked flawlessly for me. Just remembered, Olympia chimney supply out of Pa. also makes them.

When we bought the place there was no cap at all and the chimney was too short so every time we had a good wind we would get down drafts. I bought a wind directional cap and it made a world of difference. It did not improve draft much but it completely eliminated the down drafts. My old stove made a lot of creosote and I did not have any problems with the cap needing maintenance. I bought the galvanized version on Amazon for something like $20.

Status
Not open for further replies.