Wind is killing my draft

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

retiredff

Jan 20, 2008
60 miles SE of Indy
Hello,

I haven't been here in a while and last winter I had a problem.

I live rural in a old 2 story farm house with a steep pitch roof (maybe 45 deg). To the south are large hard maples that are well over the roof and very close to the house. My flue is an original internal brick chimney that was lined with a 6" SS liner and insulated, it might be 35' total length or possibly more. My stove is a Regency 2400.

Problem: Most of the time it burns fine (for me), but when the wind comes from the south and is strong (20 mph+), with the air left wide open I can't get over 7-800 deg. flue temp. My thermometer is the probe type. When the wind comes from any other diretion, leaving the air wide open would result in 1200 deg or highter temps. I think, the wind hits the roof and is diverted up and hits the cap underside and kills the draft. At times when not burning and the wind is strong, I can feel air coming in from around the pipe collar.

What gives? Do I need a different cap? My current cap is the normal cap with a screen, and is 3-4 feet above the peak.

Any info appreciated.

Thanks

Tony

I can not speak for how well it works but there are specific caps made for helping with wind issues.

wind-dir-raincap.jpg

http://www.rockfordchimneysupply.com/chimney-caps.php

"I can not speak for how well it works but there are specific caps made for helping with wind issues."

Photo of conquistador with wind issues:

images

"I can not speak for how well it works but there are specific caps made for helping with wind issues."

Photo of conquistador with wind issues:

images

I think his draft cap is on the wrong end.

Status
Not open for further replies.