Wind vs. ?? for drying time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ckarotka

Minister of Fire
Sep 21, 2009
Northwest PA on the lake
I'm not as far ahead as I'd like but everything for 2010/2011 has been split and stacked since November 2009. It doesn't get an all day sun but a good 6 hours. two hh's and three single rows. Top and top two rows covered. My area gets a nice wind on a daily basis though.

Tested a few splits today with the MM and they are still off the charts high content. Ya think they will make by October?

Some oak, cherry, poplar, maple and pine split to around 4-6 in splits.

My hickory in double rows, covered on top, in an open meadow with lots of sun and wind will be nearly dried after 12 months, and ready to go (<20% m.c.) in 18 months. Cherry and maple dry fast, so no problem.

I think wood seasoned for about a full year by the time you start burning will be far better than most people burn, and most people do OK. Even if the oak isn't fully seasoned yet, it should burn ok. Sure, it would probably be better to be two or three years ahead, but one year isn't too shabby.

You should be okay except watch the oak. I'm not a fan of the HH stacking though and if I needed wood to dry fast I'd simply stack in single rows so the wind hit the side of the stack. Sun is nice but not totally necessary.

I am also not a fan of burning marginal wood. Many do indeed get along with it but I'd rather go for the ideal firewood. One then does not have to have moisture meters, doesn't have problems starting fires, doesn't have problems with creosote and they get the most heat from the wood thereby burning less wood over the winter.

Split and stacked since last November . . . I would guess with the exception of oak you'll be OK . . . especially given the size of your splits.

i would if possible get the oak by itself in a single row and make sure the splits are medium to small and even the oak will be ok by late dec -mid jan... if you have a windy summer/fall

I see these questions a lot, but I'm curious: What if it's not? Do you have a contingency plan?

oldspark said:
Danno77 said:
I see these questions a lot, but I'm curious: What if it's not? Do you have a contingency plan?
Old tires. :lol:

for kindling to get the creosote railroad ties going! :lol:

Danno77 said:

Nope. Too late now to buy any and try to season it. It's gonna be better than what I had last year that's for sure. Last year I had very little creosote, cleaned the chimney 3 times and got a coffee cup full each time of powder.

I'm really trying to get two years ahead and be sure it's ready, but I need more room to store it and it gets tougher every year to find free wood.

I know wasted question when I'm gonna burn it anyway right?

I know the Cherry will be fine, and the maple, Oak is the question. I agree to keep that seperate and cross stack. I like HHs, great way to store alot of wood in a small foot print and even a better conversation piece. I am not a fan of covering the wood until winter, I think you get less sun that way and the rain doesn't hurt anything. The wood dries from the inside out, not the outside in.

By the way I lost my GolfandWoodnut settings, it has me starting over, does anyone know how to get it back. i was deleted!

GOLFANDWOODNUT said:
By the way I lost my GolfandWoodnut settings, it has me starting over, does anyone know how to get it back. i was deleted!
I heard that they cleaned up the member list to rid of spammer accounts and that there were a couple of REAL members who's accounts were accidentally deleted with them. PM a moderator for more details. I'm not sure they can restore the old account or settings.

Backwoods Savage said:
You should be okay except watch the oak. I'm not a fan of the HH stacking though and if I needed wood to dry fast I'd simply stack in single rows so the wind hit the side of the stack. Sun is nice but not totally necessary.

I am also not a fan of burning marginal wood. Many do indeed get along with it but I'd rather go for the ideal firewood. One then does not have to have moisture meters, doesn't have problems starting fires, doesn't have problems with creosote and they get the most heat from the wood thereby burning less wood over the winter.

Hello Dennis!
How ya been? I would think with all your wood your only problem may be the wood is too dry or maybe even petrified :lol: In fact it's been rumored that you just add wood to a cold stove give it a little air and it spontaneously ignites! If a mans wealth were to be measured by firewood alone you would be king :)
Just kidding hope you and your family are doing well..

Take Care,
Ray

Iam going with split and stack in nov. 2009 that will be the best firewood in your area maybe not perfect but pretty darn good. Use the oak last.

This weekend I plan on tearing the hh's down and build some new racks and single stack it.
do what I can with what I have. I have wood envy from looking at others post.

I think you're doing the right thing by restacking. I don't have any personal experience with an HH, so I'm not going to knock them. But I do know that single-row, loose stacking works really well for seasoning as quick as possible. Also, since you're doing all that extra work, I would resplit the oak, and anything else that's particularly big. Yes, it's a PITA. In March, I checked 3 cords of oak that was split last Fall, and decided that a lot if it wasn't going to be dry enough for this coming Winter, so I resplit all of the larger stuff, and restacked the whole mess. 4X the work, but I'll be happy when it comes time to burn it. Also, I'm in the don't cover camp, but don't think that's a huge deal either way. Good luck and keep the cussin down!

willworkforwood said:
I think you're doing the right thing by restacking. I don't have any personal experience with an HH, so I'm not going to knock them. But I do know that single-row, loose stacking works really well for seasoning as quick as possible. Also, since you're doing all that extra work, I would resplit the oak, and anything else that's particularly big. Yes, it's a PITA. In March, I checked 3 cords of oak that was split last Fall, and decided that a lot if it wasn't going to be dry enough for this coming Winter, so I resplit all of the larger stuff, and restacked the whole mess. 4X the work, but I'll be happy when it comes time to burn it. Also, I'm in the don't cover camp, but don't think that's a huge deal either way. Good luck and keep the cussin down!

Nobody ever said burning wood was a lazy mans game.
I will actually enjoy restacking since it's really not that much, couple cord. Good reason to go out and play with my wood ;-P

the cherry and maple shouldn't be too bad

I wouldn't restack everything, though. I'd just pick.
Course if you restack you can send anybody out for another armload ....

ckarotka said:
willworkforwood said:

Nobody ever said burning wood was a lazy mans game.
I will actually enjoy restacking since it's really not that much, couple cord. Good reason to go out and play with my wood ;-P
I do think you are doing the best thing possible short of drying it with a hair dryer. ;-)

raybonz said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Hello Dennis!
How ya been? I would think with all your wood your only problem may be the wood is too dry or maybe even petrified :lol: In fact it's been rumored that you just add wood to a cold stove give it a little air and it spontaneously ignites! If a mans wealth were to be measured by firewood alone you would be king :)
Just kidding hope you and your family are doing well..

Take Care,
Ray

Ray, we have to be very careful it doesn't light while stacked outdoors! lol

We're doing fine Ray and hope you are too.

Status
Not open for further replies.