Wind

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marsha Cook

Nov 17, 2013
NH
My Harman p61A is vented thru a flue. The winds here in NH are really high. Is it possible that wind is coming down the flue and holding the fire down? Certainly sounds like it.

Thanks

Very possible to pressurize the flue and make the venting harder. No cap on the flue?

How does the flame look?....compared to when it's not windy.

The flue has a cap.

The flame looks normal for the most part, then I hear a large wind sound and the flame looks like it is being blown out. It gets " flat". Comes back to normal when the wind sound ends.

Are you using an OAK? (Outside Air Kit)

Last edited:
The flue has a cap.

The flame looks normal for the most part, then I hear a large wind sound and the flame looks like it is being blown out. It gets " flat". Comes back to normal when the wind sound ends.
Mine is vented the same way....don't fret about it, Marsha. It's wildly windy here in New England today. As long as you don't lose power you'll be fine.

Reactions: P38X2
I don't think I have an OAK. Not sure what it is. Just bought the house end of October and still learning.
Thanks 007, I thought so but wanted to check.

+1
The wind obviously isn't gonna be like this. But it is kinda cool.

I don't think I have an OAK. Not sure what it is. Just bought the house end of October and still learning.
Thanks 007, I thought so but wanted to check.
OAK is outside air kit...meaning is there a separate air intake plumbed to the outside?

Sometimes the wind can creat more draft making the flame really wild. Some endcaps actually made things worse with a wind. I have one like yours up a chimney and two other stoves that go straight out through the wall. I had trouble with them until I put a 90degree angle on them. After that they ran fine.
Harman stoves are pretty forgiving and trouble free. The section about understanding how a Harman stove works on this website is by far better then the manual.

Sometimes the wind can creat more draft making the flame really wild. Some endcaps actually made things worse with a wind. I have one like yours up a chimney and two other stoves that go straight out through the wall. I had trouble with them until I put a 90degree angle on them. After that they ran fine.

I had the same issue. I added a 90 and things are fine now.

Just a note if someone is going to add a 90 elbow to the end.... Don't point it up (rain will get in).
If you point it down, make sure your horizontal pipe is high enough as to not allow the hot (and sometimes spark filled) gasses to strike the ground. Especially if you have bark mulch or the like underneath.

I set my 90 at about halfway between horizontal and straight down.

Status
Not open for further replies.