Windcap for chimneys

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GordonShumway

Dec 14, 2010
Nebraska
Our neighbor has one of these. Not sure how long it will stay in service with a wood stove. I prefer something with no moving parts. Homesaver makes a high wind cap that might be worth considering as an alternative. http://www.ventingpipe.com/high-wind-chimney-caps/c1911

What is the relationship of the flue cap to the nearby roof? Is the cap below the peak on the windward side?

Begreen, that looks like a better alternative, especially since no moving parts. I will admit I was a little concerned about squeaking coming from a wind vane like chimney cap,but also noticed it had a grease fitting to help with that.

The flue cap may not solve all problems, especially if the flue it in a bad location, low on the roof slope. That's why I asked about it. Overall flue height has a role here too.

Status
Not open for further replies.