Winding down......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bagelboy

Feeling the Heat
Oct 21, 2013
Catskills, N.Y.
Well, it's that time of the year where my burning is winding down. No more two wood stoves cranking constantly, or having to load wood for the next cycle. Now, fire up one stove around dinner time and keep it going til I go to bed. Easy peasy, maybe another week or more and I'll call it quits. Don't get me wrong, I'm a long time burner(30 plus years), but it's nice to see it come to an end every year. My wood for next year is already to go, so all summer and fall I'll be scrounging here and there to get a start on 2018 's winter! In April, I clean out the stoves, and clean the pipes and chimney, clean up the wood bin, and throw the leftover wood on a pile.It never really stops, does it?

I'm going to burn thru July so I can keep my house a nice toasty 80 degrees. Currently 75 in the parlor. aaaaaaaaaah

The Mr Slim H2i Inverter has taken over my heating needs for the most part. I'll still build a few fires on some of those colder nights. Its funny i get so excited in the fall to start burning but at this time if the year i'm glad it is coming to a end.

I burn pellets and I'm glad to see things coming to an end. Campfires are right around the corner though.

While I'm happy to see warmer temps, I'm aggravated because of my forced wind down due to running short on wood. I'm finishing my first year burning having used around 3 cords of a total mixed bag of scrounged wood and wishing the cord of nice oak I have was dry enough to go. Now that I have the stove and see its potential I will be working on my 3 year plan all spring and summer.

Reactions: gyrfalcon
While I'm happy to see warmer temps, I'm aggravated because of my forced wind down due to running short on wood. I'm finishing my first year burning having used around 3 cords of a total mixed bag of scrounged wood and wishing the cord of nice oak I have was dry enough to go. Now that I have the stove and see its potential I will be working on my 3 year plan all spring and summer.
I'm happy, too, but maddeningly, I'm just as chilly as I was in Arctic February because the draft sucks and I'm down to the dregs of the woodpile.

46F outside so I decided to start a fire. Haven't had one for several days. For the first time this season I was getting a bit of smoke spillage due to the weather conditions (low pressure, with squirrely winds). A chunk of SuperCedar came to the rescue and got the fire going quickly with the door closed.

Been snowing pretty much all day today . . . it will be awhile before I start to slack up on burning.

Reactions: rdust
Burning right now! Did a fairly deep clean on the pellet stove but did not fire up despite snow showers. Above 35 degrees and I can run one or the other stove, don't have to do both.
image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Still running stove 24/7 in NH, but its consuming half of the wood and we're just as warm.

The Oslo in CT has been cut to part time. Just a good hot evening fire at this point, the sun holds the house over til the next one.

For some reason (probably due to many weeks away from home) I burned nearly 30% less than I protected. Guess my plan of being 2 years ahead on wood just got a lot more solid w no work on my behalf. :)

I am still burning but I can see the end of it which is sad. On the other note I reloaded my stove about 5:30 this morning came back home around 17:30 and fan was still ON! True it was around 45-50 for highs outside but stil 12 hours on a load of sycamore.

70 degrees today. I decided to pass on a fire. Gonna have at least one more go with the front coming through Wednesday.

More snow forecast today -- just a trace to three inches though. Still burning.

I hopefully reloaded the garage rack for the last time yesterday, I'm burning much less now though, the last garage load lasted 2 full weeks. We are forecasted to have a snow event here this Friday but it shouldn't stick around for long, I still have about 8 inches of snow in the yard, but I've noticed it melting more and more everyday. In no time I will be fishing, mowing and drinking a cold beer bbqing on the back deck.

Yeah, mowing grass, painting deck, power washing the house, trimming bushes, hot, humid, mosquitoes cannot wait.

Can't believe I am out in high wind and seventy degrees today cutting wood and looking at the forecast I will be lighting the stove after sundown. :confused:

Fired back up today after a nice little break. Hit 73::F yesterday and today only managed 41::F with wind chill around 30!

16-20 inches of snow on Sunday, gorgeous on Monday, 6 more inches today, and now the bottom is falling out of the thermometer to the negs. with -20 windchills for the next 3 days. We might wind down by MAY 31ST at this rate.

Reactions: gyrfalcon
I was comfortably wearing shorts and a t shirt in CT a week ago, but winter is making a come back.
I still don't think I need to reload the wood piles on the porch. Well just work off the stacks if needed.
Screenshot_2015-03-17-18-17-41.png
Still a lot better than it has been! :cool:
20150317_191959.jpg
And the first solar light makes its appearance!

Last edited:
Reactions: Swedishchef
It was 76 yesterday and 60 when I rode my bike home last night @ 11pm. Tonight its 32. Its going to be a brisk ride home. Goofy weather.

Had to turn the stove blower on low this morning to get that little bit extra, low of 22 deg, inside was 63deg, ran the fire low and slow last night, open the air up and got the blower going on low, heated the upstairs to 67 in 40min, not bad, hopefully this is the last shot of low 20's upper teens for the rest of the year

Status
Not open for further replies.