window clearance for vent (pictures added)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hotstovecoolmusic

Sep 21, 2008
Central MA
Greetings,

I'm getting a pellet stove (Breckwell Big E) next week and have 3 installers coming to give estimates.
I'm confused about window clearances for the vent pipe.

I plan on having a snorkel vent about 6ft vertical. There are two windows in the vicinity of the install site.

I'm reading a Simpson pdf file that mentions NFPA 211 rules. I assume I need to adhere to these rules.

They mention:

"exit terminal of a mechanical draft
system, other than a direct vent appliance
(sealed combustion system appliance), shall be located in accordance with the following..."

1. Is a pellet stove, with snorkel vent, considered a direct vent appliance?

The instructions continue:

"Not less than 4 ft.(1.2m)
below, 4 ft.(1.2m) horizontally
from or 1 ft. (304mm) above any
door, window or gravity air inlet
into any building"

2. One of my windows is less than 4ft. away. It is a bay window, sealed shut, that leads out to an enclosed porch.
Will this window cause problems for me? I thought I read somewhere that clearance for a non-opening window was 8". Also, the window would around the corner from the vent and does not go to the outside of the house.

insidehouse.JPG

sidehighshot.JPG

Thanks,
Tom

hotstovecoolmusic said:
2. One of my windows is less than 4ft. away. It is a bay window, sealed shut, that leads out to an enclosed porch.
Will this window cause problems for me? I thought I read somewhere that clearance for a non-opening window was 8". Also, the window would around the corner from the vent and does not go to the outside of the house.
The pictures you show look like a legal install - remember, the clearances you noted are for the termination (open end) of the vent. The non-opening bay window around the corner to the porch is not an issue.

if the cap to the exaust is above the window to the right by atleast one foot then you have nothing to worry about, the inside dimensions are fine as long as that corner of the wall is atleast three inches away from the exaust

Use the 3 ft sections of vent pipe they look nice and get extra support brackets.

Status
Not open for further replies.