1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

WINDOW CONDENSATION

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Todd, Dec 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd

Todd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Wissota
    What causes window condensation? Is it cold air leaking in? Or is it just from the temp difference between outside and inside? I have condensation on most of my upstairs windows. Especially 2 bedrooms. Sometimes there is so much it puddles up on the sills. Downstairs where the wood stove is located the windows are all fine. They are fairly new, dual pane, double hung windows. I re-caulked all windows this fall.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Dylan has it right, it sounds like there is more humidity upstairs. If not several heavy-breathers, check the bathroom venting. Is there a fan in the bathroom(s) and is it used when people take showers? If the windows are metal framed they will condensate worse. Metal is a great conductor of cold and a poor window material for northern climates.
  3. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Yeah, we simultaneously posted. Frank has it right on. (But I like the image your post creates. Honey, maybe we should try making love in the basement?)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.