Window mount pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
175098_1_lg.jpg

if that loads from the inside it'll be perfect for my garage.

Two thoughts:
1. Better seal your window well otherwise you'll be smelling exhaust.
2. At 126 lbs. dry you will need some serious food and beer incentives to all your friends and family to help hoist that baby into the window. Come to think of it, and seriously, how much weight can a window sill handle safely?

I think this unit needs a nice yellow emboldened sticker on the side that says, "In the event of hopper fire, open window and push". ;)

looks like my window a/c

just looked at the web site and found the clearances( Clearance from Side Wall (in.) 2
Clearance from Corner (in.) 6 ). thinking to myself if you have vinyl windows it might melt the window or if you have wood it might just start to smoke?

smwilliamson said:
I can just imagine an apartment complex in the projects having 30 of these units running on one broad side of the building and the entire facade being black.

I was thinking the same thing just think of NYC having these out the windows. I would like to see a ton of pellets in an elevator going to the 30th floor. "Sorry this elevators full" LMAO.

dac122 said:
I think this unit needs a nice yellow emboldened sticker on the side that says, "In the event of hopper fire, open window and push". ;)

Laughing Out Loud, Good One

magsf11 said:
just looked at the web site and found the clearances( Clearance from Side Wall (in.) 2
Clearance from Corner (in.) 6 ). thinking to myself if you have vinyl windows it might melt the window or if you have wood it might just start to smoke?

Was thinking the same thing. How much heat and weight could a vinyl window take?

tinkabranc said:
magsf11 said:

Was thinking the same thing. How much heat and weight could a vinyl window take?
its ul tested/listed & probly has mounting hardware

It's not much heavier than a air conditioner of 12,k btu and the window can handle it fine, sl many na sayers here, give it a chance see what happens. It has many many appications, like garage, cabin, large room, workshed nice thinking... i just may have to buy one...

smoke show said:
if that loads from the inside it'll be perfect for my garage.

It would be hard to load on the second story.

pelletdude said:
Yes they are UL approved and can be used in an RV, Mobile Home or a small apartment. Retail is $1,799.00 at our Stoveshop. They put out good heat and no chimney is required. I think there will be quite a few folks that will find applications for them.

PelletDude, I know that Northern doesn't make them....any idea who the original MFR is?

That is just plain crazy... Someone is always trying to figure out a way to make a buck... Try telling your insurance company you put live fire in your window opening.. Thats nuts.

Safety wise, and code wise look at all you have to do to install one normally in a room. The thing is not do they work, Im sure they do fire up and put out heat.. The thing is all the jerks that will buy them and put them in a window opening who have no clue about Fire Safety. It doesnt take much to put a UL approval on an appliance either. UL ratings do not guarantee the unit is totally safe, it says that it worked .

blaster668 said:
It is made by US Stove, but oddly I could not find it on their website.

Their probably trying to see how many homes get burned down before they put their name on the front of it!!!! :)

AR

Nicholas440 said:
That is just plain crazy... Someone is always trying to figure out a way to make a buck... Try telling your insurance company you put live fire in your window opening.. Thats nuts.

Safety wise, and code wise look at all you have to do to install one normally in a room. The thing is not do they work, Im sure they do fire up and put out heat.. The thing is all the jerks that will buy them and put them in a window opening who have no clue about Fire Safety. It doesnt take much to put a UL approval on an appliance either. UL ratings do not guarantee the unit is totally safe, it says that it worked .
wrong, UL testing & listing certifies that unit is safe when installed & operated per directions which is the first thing the code inspector wants to see, which is what the ins. co. wants to hear.

Hello

Yes, that is a Pellet Stove and next year's model will probably have a built in Flat Screen TV like the Refrigerator!! LOL

Where in hell was this thing when I bought my Mini!! Cheaper than my Mini too!! Couple of thoughts, you could build a new opening for it and reinforce the area if weight is a concern, also it would take up less space than my Mini. Price is a bit high I can see people buying two or three of these to evenly heat a home if the price is lower. I wonder if a bulk auto pellet feed system could be adapted, epically if it's on the second floor. If it could be done a smaller unit with a lower BTU out put for smaller homes, or rooms. The ultimate factor is will it burn clean enough not to stain the siding and is it easy to clean?

I don't imagine that the exposure to the rain, ice, and snow would help the blower behind the louvers(grill) on the right hand side of the critter either.

Status
Not open for further replies.