Window mount pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My buddy (Screen name Baryard840x) just bought a Magnum Baby Counrty side for $1400. That's with hearth pad, thimble, pipe, etc. And its a lot more than 24,000 BTU's. Gettin ready to go pick it up and install it tonight.

I don't know where in the whole install process you finally got but if you got to the point that you notified the insurance company you might be able to bring some real fire power to bear.

Did the shipping company balk because it wasn't on a pallet, if that's so you should be able to find a pallet and some strapping (hint try your local big box).

aridon99 said:
tjnamtiw said:
pelleter said:
Update:
It has been a week after he said he would call me back. He never called back.
I talked with Arek, the store owner in CT. I brought the stove back to him and he refunded the whole sale price.
Good luck with you all.

Well, that's good news for you but still not so good for USSC customer service. I'm not sure I could sit on my hands for a week waiting for someone to call me back. More like a day!!!!! Now I wonder how aridon99 is making out................................

To answer your question TJ, I'm having a few issues returning the unit right now. I no longer have the box the stove came in, and the trucking company that came to pick it up for the return refused to touch it. Now I need to find some sort of sturdy pallet and strap this down. Would any of you have this sort of thing laying around?

I find it a bit odd that the only option they suggested was to return the unit for a refund and just send me a working unit. I suspect this unit could be discontinued. Maybe they're working on the next version with improvements on the design and quality. But now I'm left with a rather large hole on the side of my house which I needs patching up and re-insulating. Hmmm, $300 to have my contractor dig the hole and install the unit. $1000 + $120 shipping for the stove. Another $300 to have my contractor patch up the hole. So I'll be out $720 + time & effort with absolutely nothing to show for at the end, except that guests who visit my sun room now all comment on how it smells like an ashtray (anyone know how to get rid of this? How do car dealers get rid of smokey cars?).

Geez, I could have gone to Vegas with that money ;)

I wouldn't expect or demand that USSC pay for the cutting of the hole or patching it since it was supposed to be a window unit. Also, having come from manufacturing, I would not expect a shipping company to pick something up that wasn't strapped to a pallet or boxed so you should have anticipated that. You can get a pallet from just about any store in your area since most of them have to pay to get rid of them. A supermarket, Lowes, HD, any hardware store or any decent sized WalMart, etc would have pallets. Strapping could be as simple as a secure tie down with rope, I would assume, or some 2x4 blocking and some rope or nylon straps from Harbor Freight.
Did they offer to pay the shipping? They should if you point out how their unit endangered your lives and forced you to hire someone to eliminate the smoke odor.
Remember that you get nothing if you don't ask for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DexterDay said:
My buddy (Screen name Baryard840x) just bought a Magnum Baby Counrty side for $1400. That's with hearth pad, thimble, pipe, etc. And its a lot more than 24,000 BTU's. Gettin ready to go pick it up and install it tonight.

Good deal, but not window mount. The big deal about the stove in this thread is the ease of mounting it. Now, if it isn't a very good stove that makes it no good, but if USSC can work out the kinks, then it makes it pretty interesting.

joecool85 said:
DexterDay said:

Good deal, but not window mount. The big deal about the stove in this thread is the ease of mounting it. Now, if it isn't a very good stove that makes it no good, but if USSC can work out the kinks, then it makes it pretty interesting.

I was just stating, that after his cost. He could have bought an actual stove with pipe, thimble, pad, etc. He put a huge hole in the wall anyways. So a 7 1/2" hole would have been nothing. Yes the window mount takes up no floor space, but for the money and problems that have came with it... I hope he gets it resolved with USSC. But for that money and only 24,000 BTU's... To each there own. I would be interested in a possible 2nd Generation model, if they are made. Maybe more BTU's and so on, for my shop/garage.

DexterDay said:
I was just stating, that after his cost. He could have bought an actual stove with pipe, thimble, pad, etc. He put a huge hole in the wall anyways. So a 7 1/2" hole would have been nothing. Yes the window mount takes up no floor space, but for the money and problems that have came with it... I hope he gets it resolved with USSC. But for that money and only 24,000 BTU's... To each there own. I would be interested in a possible 2nd Generation model, if they are made. Maybe more BTU's and so on, for my shop/garage.

Yeah, for him I agree you are probably right it would have made more sense to go with a regular stove. But for some the window mount is nice. My wife doesn't like either option, but it's interesting to me so I follow this thread anyway.

joecool85 said:
DexterDay said:

Yeah, for him I agree you are probably right it would have made more sense to go with a regular stove. But for some the window mount is nice. My wife doesn't like either option, but it's interesting to me so I follow this thread anyway.
Agreed. Sparks interest in my mind also. Like I said before, when these become cheaper and they get the bugs worked out. (2nd Gen). I too would be interested in one. It is a great concept and a great viable option for some folks. But for now I will just watch from afar.

Everyone is harping about working bugs out and this being a bad stove. I haven't had any isues with mine and am very happy with it as are others. I think just like many other manufactures there might be a few faulty units out there. How many refurbished Englanders are being sold on Ebay right now? How is it they needed refurbished? How many posts are there about issues with those stoves on this forum right now? LOL... just looking at this from a different perspective. Also, not all people are pellet burners. Some issues take a little fortitude. My 2 cents.

2400 said:
Everyone is harping about working bugs out and this being a bad stove. I haven't had any isues with mine and am very happy with it as are others. I think just like many other manufactures there might be a few faulty units out there. How many refurbished Englanders are being sold on Ebay right now? How is it they needed refurbished? How many posts are there about issues with those stoves on this forum right now? LOL... just looking at this from a different perspective. Also, not all people are pellet burners. Some issues take a little fortitude. My 2 cents.

I suppose I worded things poorly earlier, I think the biggest issue has been quality control more than working out the bugs. Once they get it reliable so that I can feel confident buying one that will work properly, I would be interested. Also, I'd be interested in a less expensive 10k-15k btu unit since I'd only be using it for a 12 x 18 room really.

2400 said:

I don't have any problem with a bad one slipping through, the problem I have is with the (lack of) support crap that goes on.

SmokeyTheBear said:
I don't have any problem with a bad one slipping through, the problem I have is with the (lack of) support crap that goes on.

You hit the nail on the head, Smokey!!!! Without support, pellet stoves are not a viable option, period.

Ok, lack of support is a seperate issue. I haven't needed support from the manufacture yet, so I can't comment on that. This is my first venture into pellet burning. I wanted to go this less expensive route in case I wasn't a pellet burner (or pellet burning wasn't for me) no huge loss. No stove pipe to mess with no hearth to mess with. I'm still using propane primarily. Fortunately my experience has been pretty good and I intend to to invest in a larger system. Either a pellet furnace or a a free standing stove. I'm really leaning towards multi fuel. Thats going to be a much larger investment with the pipe and hearth, but at leats I now know I'm up for it.

2400 said:
Ok, lack of support is a seperate issue. I haven't needed support from the manufacture yet, so I can't comment on that. This is my first venture into pellet burning. I wanted to go this less expensive route in case I wasn't a pellet burner (or pellet burning wasn't for me) no huge loss. No stove pipe to mess with no hearth to mess with. I'm still using propane primarily. Fortunately my experience has been pretty good and I intend to to invest in a larger system. Either a pellet furnace or a a free standing stove. I'm really leaning towards multi fuel. Thats going to be a much larger investment with the pipe and hearth, but at leats I now know I'm up for it.
Be careful... There is a sickness associated with pellet burning.. Its an addiction!! I'm going to meetings to get help. But I don't think I'm gettin better!!! JK.. LOL.
Multi fuel is the way to go. So you don't limit yourself to just the pellet market. My Quad is not a tru multi-fuel. But the furnace I just purchased is. I'm glad your happy with the Window mount stove. They wouldn't sell them, if they were full of bugs. Glad your happy with it. Looking foward to seeing what you get down the road....

Yeh it's scary! I already have an addictive personality. First booze then women or was it the other way around? Now just women. So I have room for pellets.

DexterDay said:
They wouldn't sell them, if they were full of bugs. Glad your happy with it. Looking foward to seeing what you get down the road....

You might have noticed that most places aren't selling them now...like northerntool.com for instance.

Ok folks let us think for a minute. Most of these stoves are self install, sold through big box type places and as a result get more than the normal amount of rough handling and fumble fingered.

That in itself will result in a few units being DOA or shortly thereafter.

I've known dozens of good people become all fumble fingered the moment something isn't exactly right, in the attempt to fix the current problem they cause additional problems because they don't know what is around the area they are poking around in. Kiss an otherwise operable stove bye bye.

Then add in what brings most folks here and the long tales of teeth gnashing begin. We usually only get to see the problem units here.

Oh well, next stove problem please.

2400 said:

That makes too much sense. Usually we just jump into things like me with two stoves all at once. There's a lot of good info in the archives on building hearths without too much outlay of money. I've seen some really pretty ones on here. You can even make a form, sprinkle some pretty river rock in and then fill it with cement. When hard, get some 'volunteers' (read as case of beer) to help you flip it over.

Hello

Very Nice YouTube Video on the Window Mounted Pellet Stove !! 24,000 BTU and 30 lb Hopper not bad !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFetuywsVLw&feature=player_embedded

Reviews like this one are favorable:
http://reviews.northerntool.com/039...ove-24-000-btu-model-2400-reviews/reviews.htm
Overall Rating:
4 / 5
4 / 5
US Stove Model #2400
November 15, 2010
By ByCo
from Nebraska
"This stove works good for me, if anything I wish it put out a little less heat! With outside temperatures in the mid 30's or above the stove will heat my 17'X14' living room to 80 degrees on the lowest setting. The coldest night so far has been 15 degrees and the stove kept the living room and adjoining 17'X15' kitchen/dining room at 72 to 75 degrees with the heat setting on 2.
Too install the stove I chose to eliminate an old window that needed to be replaced anyhow. I framed in the opening leaving an opening size that was indicated in the manual and the stove fit nicely leaving about an 1/8" gap on each side that was easily caulked, the top had about a 1/2" gap that I filled using the foam weather stripping that came with the stove. I ended up building a support for the front of the stove, the brackets that are supplied just weren't doing it for me. I found that the front of the stove needed to be slightly higher than the back or the front door wouldn't stay closed (there's nothing mentioned in the manual about leveling stove that I could find). I also mounted the stove so that the top is about waist high, this makes it easy to load the hopper.
As far as things that aren't so great.
The shape of the hopper makes it difficult to get a full load of pellets in the stove. After putting about 15 lbs of pellets in it looks like it's full but I found that if I reach in and push the pellets back I can get another 10+ pounds in if I work at it (I also found out that there are some sharp edges in there that can scratch and even cut the back of your hand).
I've also found that even after spraying the inside of the hopper with silicone lube the pellets don't fed smoothly to the auger, after burning all night I need to reach in and redistribute the pellets to keep it from starving for fuel.
I really wish the stove came in black. No mattern how carefull I am I always seem to get some soot on my hands when I clean the fire box and then get some on the front of the stove, and since the front isn't a smooth surface I can't get it completely cleaned off.
I also wish that the louvers on the front of the stove were angled downward a bit to give more even heat distribution in the room.
Overall I'm pleased with my purchase. I have a small house and floor space is at a premium, this stove keeps me toasty warm and I lost less than two square feet of floor space!
I would recommend this stove for anyone that doesn't want too or can't give up the floor space for a free standing unit."

Attachments

• WindowMtPelletStoveControlPanel.jpg
    WindowMtPelletStoveControlPanel.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 883
  • WindowMtPelletStoveFire.jpg
    WindowMtPelletStoveFire.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 838
Hi, yes I have purchased one of these units (us stove window mount pellet stove) and cannot say enough about it! It was so easy to install, on low it heats the space I need it to, and it burns about a pound of pellets an hour. It's so easy!! You do have to clean it out every other day, but other than that there is no real concerns. This is not a redneck unit!! It's wonderful. There are brackets to hold it in, the hopper is truly easy, and properly installed there is no way it will fall out of the window. Also, it qualifies for a tax credit which off sets the cost. Great concept, great machine. :)

I saw this and wished I came up with the idea!
Interesting concept as was the widow air conditioner when it came out.

If the weight is properly balanced on the window sash, I'm not seeing a problem.

My only concern is the soot.
Put it on the 'prevailing wind' side of the house and you're painting next summer....
Never mind the near by windows...

Put it on the 'lee side' and the back-draft hits the house and I'm painting again.....
Ya, and cleaning those dam windows.

Like I said... interesting concept.

Would I buy one?
Not yet....
Don't believe it's been thought completely through yet.
It may pass the tests to be marketed, but they don't care if you have to re-paint your house each season....

My 2 cents and worth just that.

Ready to get one yet? No
Interested? Very
Most likely application? Motor home.
Last motor home I had, roof AC died, got a $100 window unit, I'd take it out when we were on the road, get camp set up, slide it in, plug it in, turn it on, loved it, can see doing the same thing with one of these, do some winter campin', take it out ice fishin'. Maybe next year.

Heard an ad for this on the radio and I knew we'd have some good info and comments on this web site about it!
What about code violations? I know when I talked to my towns building inspector before about installing a pellet stove the vent had to be 2 feet from any window or door. So this sucker is IN the window...The side of my house I'd like to use this on gets ice dams that slid off the roof so I can't put a metal chimney for a pellet stove there so this would be ideal I'll visit my friendly building inspector this week and see what he says. Also I think someone mentioned insurance so I'll check that out but pretty sure if its UL listed and installed per instructions and local code it would be ok. So anyone deal with their building inspectors on this product yet?

ruserious2008 said:
Heard an ad for this on the radio and I knew we'd have some good info and comments on this web site about it!
What about code violations? I know when I talked to my towns building inspector before about installing a pellet stove the vent had to be 2 feet from any window or door. So this sucker is IN the window...The side of my house I'd like to use this on gets ice dams that slid off the roof so I can't put a metal chimney for a pellet stove there so this would be ideal I'll visit my friendly building inspector this week and see what he says. Also I think someone mentioned insurance so I'll check that out but pretty sure if its UL listed and installed per instructions and local code it would be ok. So anyone deal with their building inspectors on this product yet?

The key part about windows and vents is as long as the window is not operable it is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.