Window treatments

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Henz

Mar 23, 2006
Northville, NY
Ok, as you all know I have been burning the Olympic for the past two winters and thank god for that! every summer etc I d oanother insulating project in my older homestead of a house. In the main (open Concept) living are where my stove is, I have 4 windows, double pane but not argon filled etc. This year I am thinking about purchasing those insulated blinds that you can buy for them. I have heard that you lose 20% through windows and doors>? has anyone done this yet? I do know that when I place my hand near the windows on 0 degree days or days that are really windy I can feel a difference.

It helps more if your windows are bad. I used heavy drapes on some good condition single pane windows and it helped a lot. Now that I am replacing with low e argon windows it does not make a lot of difference at all. Hopefully that helps?

well, I am definatly not replacing the windows. they are decent just not the low e argon ones. we need blinds anyways

I bit the bullet this year and had 8 windows replaced through "Window World". Argon filled lowE glass, nice quality vinyl windows, cost me about $250 ea installed. They start out at $189 ea, any size double hung window installed, and go up as you add options.

I use to have some cheap vinyl double pane without the argon and like you could feel the cold air, so I use to put up that 3M window plastic every winter and it made a big difference.

Its one of thoses things where you need to determine if there is air infiltration...is the cold conducting? If it is the blinds will help. I have 4 windows to do yet this fall then the whole main level is done, just 3 windows in the walkout. Not only is the heat loss non existant comparing to my others but the comfort is 10 fold better!!!

I have worked on the windows as far as air infiltration. I have that pretty much solved. Its amazing what silicone caulk does! Now I am thinking about the conductive heat loss or whatever it is called

Are there storms on them?

no, they are simply double pane, double hung windows.

Then a storm on the windy winter cold side would be where I would start.

In my bedroom I have one year old French doors and transoms that are about 10 feet long and 6.5 feet high, nearly all glass. When I close the fairly heavy drapes over them, it is 2 degrees F warmer in the winter at night in that room. I would call that a significant difference.

EXACTLY!

Thats a lot of glass too. Are they argon and low e or just argon? I still say if you do not have argon and low e that a storm window is your best bet. It will create a insulation gap.

I know my doors/windows are Andersen low E. I think they are also argon, but am not sure. A quick search on Andersen's site didn't yield mention of argon and I would imagine if the product had it, it would listed as a selling point . . . and add to the expense.

I agree, properly installed storm windows make a difference.

Stupid question here. Can storm windows be added to any manufacturer's windows? I have pella windows and can not figure out where they would attach. Are they just a completely separate piece. In my parents old 4-square farmhouse, we had single pane windows with an additional single pane storm window that had hooks at the top that they would snap onto.

Yes, storms can go on just about any window. It is screws or fastens to the exterior frame. It is just creating a dead airspace that is insulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.