Windy...Burnt wood smell

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eatonpcat

Minister of Fire
Jul 24, 2011
Eaton Township, Ohio
Last night it was very windy and I had to shut down my stove because of the burnt wood smell throughout the house. Any thoughts, this has not happened before and I don't want it to happen again. I don't have an OAK if that helps. We did have this issue a few times when we were using the fireplace to burn wood.

Thanks for any/all help!

What's the end of your pipe like possible wind was blowing into the pipe pushing exhaust back in.

Can you install one on the same side of the house as the vent? This will usually cancel out the wind.

That's my thought, just didn't know if it was possible!

I read about in a thread here I think it was a straight out install solved the problem with a different end cap may have even went up with the cap pointed away from the prevailing wind.

Reactions: Eatonpcat
Can you install one on the same side of the house as the vent? This will usually cancel out the wind.

Not sure what you mean by vent, but if I did install one (w/Mad Dog's help I hope), it could seemingly be on any of the three sides of the chimney at the base!

I was assuming your exhaust vent went through the side of your house. If the stove is using that chimney, is it taller than the peak of your roof? Wind blowing across the peak is pulled down on the other side... and could blow down into a lower chimney.

I was assuming your exhaust vent went through the side of your house. If the stove is using that chimney, is it taller than the peak of your roof? Wind blowing across the peak is pulled down on the other side... and could blow down into a lower chimney.
I had the same problem with my Castile, when it was first installed. It turned out that ,because the install was on the north side of the house, a straight out flu was letting the wind prevent draft . The dealer came back and put an angled pipe, 6' tall and with a cap pointing down, on the outside of the house. It's not the best looking set up but it worked, and he did it at no cost to me.

sometimes when the stove misfires or flames out and i have to clear it, unburnt pellets drop into the ash box on my quadrafire. when this happens the heat from the stove causes these unburnt pellets to eventually cook inside the ashbox and smell like burning wood in the house. i try to avoid this now whenever possible. could this have happened?

Last night it was very windy and I had to shut down my stove because of the burnt wood smell throughout the house. Any thoughts, this has not happened before and I don't want it to happen again. I don't have an OAK if that helps. We did have this issue a few times when we were using the fireplace to burn wood.

Thanks for any/all help!

Windy here today as well. No problems with smelling smoke though.

Attachments

• P1010230.JPG
    P1010230.JPG
    270.7 KB · Views: 144
  • P1010232.JPG
    P1010232.JPG
    147.3 KB · Views: 134
It's OK do what I'm doing opening another[ because I can ] look at my avatar :) Do you feel better now I do or will .

I would be more than happy to help. Plus I will see another M-55 in action. Other than Heat Exchanges Freestanding Cast (there last week).

An OAK is always beneficial especially with a Insert (convection blower wants to draw cold air from brick and leaks in block off).

I'm off till Wednesday. Would be more than happy to stop by..m

Oh oh, Eaton you better buy some expensive beer if Kenis is coming over... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.