Winslow exhaust passages?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike D.

Mar 13, 2013
Central, MA
Ok so my stoves been acting up a little and throwing a vacuum switch error. I replaced the vacuum switch and it still throws an error. I've checked the door gaskets, removed and cleaned both fans, opened up the clean out ports and vacuumed out the best I could, and swept the chimney. Im wondering if the exhaust passages might have a blockage that the vacuum isn't clearing out. Do they go straight through? I cant find a diagram anywhere for them.

Thanks,
Mike

It could be a blockage of the small barb to which the vacuum hose is attached. I don't know if barb is the correct word for this metal item. I guess you could also
call it a nozzle, but I know for sure that they are prone to get blocked by ash. A pipe cleaner is an ideal cleaning tool.

As for the flow path in the exhaust:

With all six lids to the clean-out ports removed you could have a helper point a flash light from one side while you look through the open clean-out port from the other side for any hidden piles of ash.
If you like gadgets ( I do ), an even better way to examine the exhaust passages would be to use an industrial endoscope. They are getting cheaper and more compact all the time. Last year I bought one. The newest generations are very compact and with side mirrors. Here's one for only $15.30... Free shipping from China:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free...doscope-2M-Mini-Camera-Mirror/1789496709.html

It comes with a 2 meter cable ready to plug in the USB socket on a laptop, Ipad, Android Tablet and so on:

Industrial endoscope.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.