Winslow ps40

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John82

Feb 16, 2014
Havre Montana
I bought a used ps 40 Winslow pellet stove, got it installed, and now cannot get it to continue running. Ready light gives one short blink and 1 long blink which would indicate vacuum switch. I pulled vacuum switch and if I suck on tube, I get continuity through switch. Using compressed air I blew into nipple on stove and it appears to be clear. The door and ash box seem tight. It has been a couple of years since this has been run. I jumped across vacuum switch and it burns fine. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Is the stove good and clean?? If so, door seal good?? What about the exh blower. It creates the vacuum inside the stove. Is the air damper adjusted properly?? Lastly, is vac switch working correctly. The PS40 is a pretty nice stove, should be able to get her going. Good luck.

Try the dollar bill test on door gaskets. Take a bill and close the door and latch it and try to pull out George. Perform the test all around the doors. If he comes out easy you have a gasket issue and will need to replace the gaskets. Not a hard or expensive project.

Try the dollar bill test on door gaskets. Take a bill and close the door and latch it and try to pull out George. Perform the test all around the doors. If he comes out easy you have a gasket issue and will need to replace the gaskets. Not a hard or expensive project.
Thanks I will do that and will make another run to make sure it is clean. Wasn't real spent a lot of time cleaning. Thanks for the response.

Is the stove good and clean?? If so, door seal good?? What about the exh blower. It creates the vacuum inside the stove. Is the air damper adjusted properly?? Lastly, is vac switch working correctly. The PS40 is a pretty nice stove, should be able to get her going. Good luck.
I will tear it apart completely and do more cleaning. And do the door tests.

Sitting around unused is very hard on pellet stoves. A clean stove is a happy stove and most stove problems are from something being missed in cleaning them.

Hey another montanan,we are taking over!Cold up on the hi line?You prob. have an air leak,stove not building enough vacumn,but,as stove was sitting,diaphram in switch may have gotten hard and does not react properly,Only way to check both is put guage on stove.Bob

Sitting around unused is very hard on pellet stoves. A clean stove is a happy stove and most stove problems are from something being missed in cleaning them.
Thanks it will be next weekend before I can get after it again. Appreciate the comments.
Hey another montanan,we are taking over!Cold up on the hi line?You prob. have an air leak,stove not building enough vacumn,but,as stove was sitting,diaphram in switch may have gotten hard and does not react properly,Only way to check both is put guage on stove.Bob
thanks not too back today. Melting

Reactions: Fskaggs
Buy the way,that stove has a manual draft control(slide lever)usually adjusted with a guage upon install.if is wide open may cause your problem.

If you haven't, you need to pull the combustion blower. Make sure you get a spare gasket as the old one is likely to tear. Brush and vacuum all internal exhaust pathways (I use a dryer lint brush and have a hose on my shop vac adapter) Location of inspection hatches and procedure is found on page 22/23 of the manual (2 on each side and don't forget the teardrops passages behind the ash pan) Check integrity of those gaskets on each side as well.
http://www.lennoxhearthproducts.com...Hearth_Winslow_Stove_Installation_775228M.pdf

If the vacuum switch is bad, this is the cheapest on-line I could find... $38 not sure what shipping would be and didn't think to check shipping costs at other suppliers.:oops: http://pellethead.com/products/H5889-%2d-Lennox-Vacuum{47}Pressure-Switch-.html

Hope you have the stove on a surge protector and installed a CO detector...

Let us know how you make out ... Pics when you're up and running! Welcome to the forum:)

If your vacuum switch has two nipples it could be attached to the wrong one. Granger has a vacuum switch just like it for under 30$

When setting vac switch, Country (when it was owned by them, now Lennox owns country) had the vac sw set up about 3/4 out, most even had a paint line to guide you. I closed one down to about 1/4-1/2, the stove would shut down on settings a, b and c. That was on a just cleaned stove too, so take care adjusting the air damper.

Status
Not open for further replies.