Winter boots and wood chips

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

greythorn3

Minister of Fire
Oct 8, 2007
Alaska
wheelordie.com
I cut a few trees up today and have a pair of Baffin boots i wear, winter boots made in canada, look almost like a moon boot, well they have these inserts in them, and somehow i got the things loaded up with wood chips. having a heck of a time trying to get the wood chips out.

anyone have any tricks to get wood chips out of boot liners?

nope! only one thing works that I know of.......pickin' every single last chip out of there with your fingers and a pair of tweezers or needlenose pliers!! I did the same thing to a pair of old Sorel boots I love to wear in the winter. Actually I did that several times, cleaned them out by hand but after they got so bad, I threw out the old liners and found replacement liners...

nope! only one thing works that I know of.......pickin' every single last chip out of there with your fingers and a pair of tweezers or needlenose pliers!! I did the same thing to a pair of old Sorel boots I love to wear in the winter. Actually I did that several times, cleaned them out by hand but after they got so bad, I threw out the old liners and found replacement liners...

+1 - those chips will snag and no luck shaking, vacuuming - time to pick 'em out! Cheers!

Boots, hats, shirts, socks,coverhalls,truck, floors. Dont sure how she does it!:cool:

Reactions: ScotO
Shop air, use a blow gun that'll get right down into the toe. Pick whats left.

A lesson learned. Next time lace them up tighter and use some duck tape.

A vacuum with a furniture brush should get the worst of it. What resists, just adds character.

Wear a heavy pair of wool socks, you wont evean know the chips are there.;)
Ps If you are useing a chainsaw wear your ppe. aka steeltoe boots.

Won't get what's in there out, but if I'm doing lots of cutting, either wear gaiters or coveralls with pant legs that will fit over the boots. Keeps everthing out

I think I will pass on the steel toes in 10-20f below standing on a ice slab, thanks anyhow, but i would rather cut my foot in 2. ya guess i will just start pickin it out. i dont see how they get in there as they boots are tight around the leg.

I wear Mickey Mouse boots in the winter if it is real cold and never lace them up (lets the moisture out) Just make sure your jeans are over the top of the boots to keep snow and wood chips out. If your feet get cold in them don't worry because you are dead already!:) Otherwise in the fall or if it down to about 10-15::FI wear my Mucks and just dump everything out when I get home.

Gary

I've worked many a Winter in -40 temps wearing steel toe sorel pac boots. The trick was to have a spair pair of sorel pacs to swap out when they got damp. I would duck tape my mackinaw wool pants to my boots to keep them from riding up when slogging in deep snow. Also, never wore a belt, only suspenders so that it wouldn't constrict at the waist.

I can deal with the wood chips..... What gets me crazy are thorns that I feel poking the bottom of my feet...how do those thorns manage to get into my boots? They are often so small that I can't even see 'em but I can sure feel them....Remove boots and socks and check for thorns. Reinstall socks and boots just to get thorned again....repeat.....until I am able to pull the darn thorn out of my skin....sometimes I think steel toed boots just aren't enough protection...need steel soles as well...but then I'd be bitchin' about sore feet!

My chaps are over the top of my boots and this keeps the chips out and protects me from injury. Another good reason to invest in a pair. I don't run the saw without them on.

Reactions: flyingcow
Could you use the sticky side of duck tape to remove the chips? Should work like a store bought lint roller.

Status
Not open for further replies.