Winter boots

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cousinles

Apr 21, 2008
Middleville ny
I am looking to purchase a warm pair of winter boots/ snow packs for around 100 bucks. I like Lacrosse but I really don’t care what brand they are as long as they are warm and comfy. Any suggestions?

Sportsmans Guide tends to have good deals on all sorts of boots, some are manufacturers overstocks or seconds from name brands, others are their own house brand (aka Chinese Sweatshop) - some bargains, some reasonable values... I've gotten a couple pairs of their rubber swamp boots, which are warm, albeit not the most comfy... Classic rubber stompers w/ a felt liner, work good for snowblowing the driveway and other such cold tasks... Wouldn't want to go on a long hike with them though, or have to stand around in them for a long time. OTOH, I think they were only around $40 or so. They also have fancier boots w/ gore-tex linings, pac boots and so on if you want to spend more money and presumably get more comfortable...

Gooserider

I recommend Lacrosse but I doubt you'll find a pair for under 100. Got mine tied off so I can slip in an out of 'em without touching the laces...there a great water proof warm boot but you sacrifice some agility.

Think about what you're going to be doing in them.

I go out hiking in -10 degree weather with light socks and non or lightly insulated boots and I'm very comfortable. It will be a bit nippy at first but after 10-15 minutes they feel fine. The boots are goretex and the socks are Smartwool (I think socks are just as important as shoes, if not more so) so my feet stay dry and if they do get damp the lack of cotton still keeps them pretty warm.

Now, if I was going to be sitting in a deer stand or something of the sort where I wouldn't be walking around I'd and exerting myself I'd be wearing something a lot heavier.

I think most times people get too heavy of boots and too heavy of socks, which results in their feet sweating and getting wet before they even get outside or when they exert themselves. Once you've got wet feet it takes a lot to keep them warm.

My feet have been much more comfortable in the last couple years since I started wearing lighter (and better) socks and shoes/boots.

Alan

Gooserider said:
Sportsmans Guide tends to have good deals on all sorts of boots, some are manufacturers overstocks or seconds from name brands, others are their own house brand (aka Chinese Sweatshop) - some bargains, some reasonable values... I've gotten a couple pairs of their rubber swamp boots, which are warm, albeit not the most comfy... Classic rubber stompers w/ a felt liner, work good for snowblowing the driveway and other such cold tasks... Wouldn't want to go on a long hike with them though, or have to stand around in them for a long time. OTOH, I think they were only around $40 or so. They also have fancier boots w/ gore-tex linings, pac boots and so on if you want to spend more money and presumably get more comfortable...

Gooserider

I second the Sportsman Guide for boots. I bought a pair of boots from them for less than $35 and they are very comfortable. Even though the ones I bought were not what you call winter type.

Shipper

Status
Not open for further replies.