Winter conditions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elkimmeg

When it gets cold like this, we at the building inspections dept., allert the builders and masons not to continue concrete work.
Some masons go to lengths to heat the water plastic off the work area and heat it, in that case work is allowed to continue
Some even burry a torch called (sand torch) in the sand pile. Heat under the plastic is supplied 24-7 Most will tell you, that most of their profits are gone for heat and working in differcult conditions. No new foundations can be poured and concrete floors exposed, freeze fairly quickly when it this cold. It is also very differcult to be roofing or vinyl siding the products contract in the cold and are very brittle. The siding can shatter. Another concern is expansion, once warmer weather returns, the roof shingles will buckle.

Really the work day is shorten quite a bit. The first hour or two it is real hard getting going when you start at 3 degrees. I mean yesterday afternoon in the sun, 21 feelt good, but that last about 2 hours. Even the tools do not want to work. Worse is getting air compressors to run at all. I have to heat them up for any chance they will turnover. The nail guns jam with and hint of moisture they freeze up.
Not a fun time to be working out side. Did I mention fingers and toes. Even most of the lumber either has frost on it or needs scraping off the ice to be installed. It took me 3 hours after work to feel almost warm again. At it again today beat the in coming ice storm tomorrow. Should be all set once we install the windows, then we can work in some heat

The office landlord took the low-bid and decided this would be a good time to insulate and reroof the flat roof-ed office. In central MI, it's snowing pretty much every day to some extent (lake effect). So they shovel off the existing surface, lay down styrofoam and new membrane, and seal it. Of course, there's still snow and ice packed into the gravel they just covered, and as that melts we're springing leaks all over the place. Drizzling on books, computers, lab equipment.

Probably a great plan in the summer.

I wonder if they have a permit?

Steve

elkimmeg said:
When it gets cold like this, we at the building inspections dept., allert the builders and masons not to continue concrete work.

Hey Elk
Different methods and different codes I guess. Local contractors pour floors and foundations down to about -30C or -22F around here. Lot's of tarps and hoarding and lots of propane salamander heaters. You're right though, profit margins get thin and/or prices go way up.

A good friend manages a local concrete company and they've had a real competitive advantage in that he has learned to specialize in cold weather concrete supply. Higher than usual water temps, different addditive mixtures and plasticizers and specially designed pouring chutes are all part of the formula.

I think that given a choice, nobody in construction would work under these conditions, but around here it would mean not working for months at a time.

Willhound

we all have bills to pay and if it means working in sever conditions that"s what it takes I ---- and moan all the time but I have to get past a certaint point to get inside and continue I get paid when the shell is tight, Can't get it tight if you don't work on it. I would much rather have inside work but typically this time of year no one plans work before Christmass. I got a differcult interior finish job comming in probably for me 3 weeks work, with the worst rought stair frame I have had to deal with. So that means money comming in, I have put a little away to get by winter but never enough. I have a margine to decide if I can, not to have to work in these conditions. But got commited to get this current remodel to a point. 2 weeks ago all seemed ok. IT changed in a hurry. Got to run lunch is over wood stoves loaded back to the ice box

Status
Not open for further replies.