Winter has not even started yet how's your supply?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LLigetfa said:
18 full cords to hopefully last 3 years.

Now that would be nice. Maybe once the rebuild of the house is done and the shell is tight.

olpotosi said:
My supply is under cover...snow cover!

I started with 128' (6 cord) in mid october and I am down to 103'

So I have burned 1.17 cord in 1.5 months of the shoulder season.

Sub zero temps arrived after the snowstorm so wood usage is on the rise...

It will be close...but I am hopeful that I won't need to break into next years wood early.

Stay warm!

olpotosi-you can barely fit all the wood in your picture...beautiful stacking! I have definitely burned less this year (warm fall), only two face cords. Old man winter has arrived here though and the stove is going 24/7.

This is our first year burning with the new insert. We had bout 1/2 a cord on the porch. I planned to buy 4 cords to be safe but the wife said "we'll never go through that much wood". I nodded in agreement and ordered 2 cords, while planning where to put the additional two cords. We started burning beginning of November when the install was complete and are working through the kinks of getting the hang of the insert and how to load it best and get the longest heat, etc. All the newbie stuff. The wood on the porch is almost gone and the wife is saying "uhhh..." I'm hoping that the wood I bought this year is burnable. Not much in the way of other options, though. Trying to figure out where to put another 4 cords for next year! I've got the room, but not where I can readily get at it. I really don't want to move wood multiple times before I burn it.

Winter just arrived last weekend but it's here now with over a foot of snow in my yard and single digit wind chills. Plenty o'wood left because of the warm fall. My wife (7 months pregnant) stayed home from work today and kept the stove cranking...Not Bad!!

Rob

You're right,
Winter won't be here for another 10 days...........officially, yet many of us have been in the grip of winter weather for a little while now.
Had just under 6 full cords in the stacks in front of the house to start the burning season. I've used just over a cord so far, but we usually start burning small morning fires the end of Sept., and this year was no different. Sept. 28th, to be exact.
The last few days have been pretty cold, so going through more than I'd like, but have another "face" behind a shed for later in the season if needed, and another 6 cords in the back field for next year. Don't want to touch that yet though.
We've been consistently using about 14 "face" the last 2 years without running the furnace. I hate that thing. It uses way too much gas, so I turned off the gas supply and the power to it 2 years ago. I think my wife now hates me for that.
We should have at least 2 face left at the end of the season, without touching the stuff in back. It's really a cr@pshoot though.
I like to keep at least a cord extra, just in case things get ugly.

Happy burning!

i've been burning since the end of September and haven't as yet turned on/up the furnace! i've gone thru about 3 1/2 cords and am now burning some good dry Oak and Walnut. Once thats gone i'll go to the Hickory, Black Locust, and Ash. i have about 6 cords of that and another 2 cords under cover seasoning. My gas bills have been avg. around $40 month [ sweeeeeeet ]. Dec,Jan,Feb have always been $300 months with Nov,Mar being $200 months, so i'm ecstatic with burning wood exclusively so far this year!!

Have about 7-8 cords of 2 year old elm and red oak plus about 400 envi-blocks.

7 cord split and stacked since april - all small stuff so it should be ready - been burning since sept plan on using 3-4 this year so i should have a good start for next year as well

I started burning early this year and have used close to 2 cords and have about 5 ready to go but plenty that needs to be split or cut and split for next year.
So it looks like I should have enough but going thru it faster than I had hoped. Just made a couple adjustments on the boiler that should help with consumption.

Started burning evenings late October, now burning 24/7. We burn about 3 cords per season, we've burned about 1/3 of a cord so far. We've got 1 cord of well seasoned Cherry ready to go, 2 cords of Doug Fir ready to go, 2 cords of Black Locust ready early Spring, 1.5 cords Elm ready next year, 2 cords English Walnut ready for next year.

So far, so good!

NP

About the same as Nonprophet. Gone through 1/3 cord, probably use 2.5-3 this year.

I'm sittin on about 12 cord. Mostly red and white oak.

Still burnin' various stuff like hunks and chunks. I'm tryin' to burn up all the black walnut layin' around. Brothers and I own 4 acres of low ground and a bit old black walnut was down, I sawed it up a year or so ago, it was punky on the outer 1 or 2 inches but good stuff inside, and it was BIG, so I cut 'er up to burn.

Then last week, a big old ash blew over, snapped off at about 8 feet high with the butt end still restin' on the stump/post. I took the tractor w/FEL down there and pulled it off the stump, sawed it up, and brought that bad boy up in rounds and dumped 'em next to the pile.

I'll order up 5 cord of log length oak from the sawmill here in March, do that every year. Last year it was 320 bucks for the load. I saw and split it myself, and burn whatever other stuff I find along the way.

I start each heating season with 15+ full cords split, stacked and in the woodshed, with overflow stacked outside with a sheet metal cover. This year I have wood I haven't even split yet, as I built a new shop (32'x48'x14'), and I took down quite a few trees for the shop. Typically burn 5+/- cords each heating season, always 3rd year dried wood.

Been burning continuously last week, and will continue. Night temps are bottoming at 0 to -20F, day highs 0 to +15F.

Holy scat! We're down below 20 cords now! Maybe I'd better get busy.

Backwoods Savage said:
Holy scat! We're down below 20 cords now! Maybe I'd better get busy.

lol I pass you up..but have not gave any away yet there is someone in mind they still have at-least a cord on hand and I have some vacation coming yet figure I will even deliver it.

And I've barely started cutting Jay. Also, I got word of a family down on their luck and don't have much wood to get them through the winter. Maybe rescue time. Looks like I should get busy.

Backwoods Savage said:
And I've barely started cutting Jay. Also, I got word of a family down on their luck and don't have much wood to get them through the winter. Maybe rescue time. Looks like I should get busy.

I need to sell a few cords so I can get cutting my part-time guy wanting work as well. Things are moving much slower around here than I ever would have thought. Sept and oct was good, now that its cold not even moving a stick of wood.

In 6 weeks I have managed to get 6 cords in my backyard. The 6th is yet to be split and stacked but I should have that done tomorrow. I been burning 24/7 since the weather started getting real cold about a week ago so I think I'm not done yet;)

6 cords isnt much but not bad for a beginner.

Been through a cord since September. I like keeping the house Africa hot though. My son and I just tucked a cord down cellar, and I have 2 1/2 more seasoned stuff outside. Should bring me to April, and if things get ugly, I have another 4 cords of half seasoned stuff.

I started with 4 cords of hardwood and I've burned less than a face cord so far. It just started getting cold here about three weeks ago. Since oil is much cheaper this year than last, I'm going to cut back on my wood burning. I'm hoping to have at least 2 cords left over in the spring.
Out in the garage, we burn lighter wood (tree of heaven and silver maple mostly). We've gone through about half cord out there.
The wife and I have gone through a few liters of Bourbon sitting out there staring at the fire too.

We have a week of 0 to -20 °F forecasted. I may not have enough if it stay that cold for a long time.
4 cords+ a little, burning lots more now that it's cold & wife bot spoiled at 72 degrees. :)
Thank goodness no wind predicted.

My supply stinks. I installed a Quad 2100 in mid-September and bought two cords of "seasoned" oak. Sure. Right. I think it was seasoned with water, and it's useless as fuel this year. I have since taken down several trees on my property, including a large dead ash that seems to burn reasonably well.

The wood supply better be good when the forecasts for today, Monday and Tuesday are highs of 3F, 4F and 0F.

jebatty said:
The wood supply better be good when the forecasts for today, Monday and Tuesday are highs of 3F, 4F and 0F.
I'm just across the border from you and it's -28°C (-18°F) here right now. Fire's been burning all night and I woke up to a nice bed of coals and 72°F in the house. They're only calling for a high of -11°F today and I'll need to go out for more wood. Sure is nice to have good dry hardwood but with these temps, it's a daily ritual bringing in wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.