Winter has not even started yet how's your supply?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a balmy -22C (-8F) right now ...

jebatty said:
It's a balmy -22C (-8F) right now ...
I think the heat from my chimney is affecting your thermometer. %-P

Wow, we just hit the negatives for a two day stint. The house hovered at 75. Life is good...

I burned 1/2 cord since the beginning of October. I average three per season, but I don't burn 24/7 and it isn't nearly as cold here as it is where some of you live. I probably have three + extra cords on hand if I need them, but I expect to use them next year.

My first fire was September 30th. Burned through 2 cords so far. I have plenty of wood for the rest of the year and the next two.

Hasn't been all that cold here yet except for this past week. I've been using scrap wood since october (cut offs and odd shaped pieces) and still using them. I have about 2 cords of Locust, Oak and Yellow Birch on my deck ready to go and another cord or so on the side of my house that's ready to go.

I think I burned about 2 face cords and some shorties so far...

Started with 5 cord (4 hard wood and 1 mixed dead standing scroung stuff). Still have 4.25 cords left :)

Well I had an exceptionally boring weekend . . . at one point I was so bored I was taking pictures of my sleeping cat . . . which will probably make an appearance here sooner or later.

I did however take a picture of my woodshed to show how little wood I have used so far . . . first shot just shows the "new" sled shed addition with my brother-in-law's sleds . . . second picture shows the wood usage. The shed is 12 x 20 . . . so far I've taken a little more than two of the interior rows which are maybe 6 feet wide.

Attachments

• woodshedused1.jpg
    woodshedused1.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 251
  • wooshedused2.jpg
    wooshedused2.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 233
totally jealous of your woodshed. I like the thing packed full of wood and then one little patio chair amidst it, like sometimes you just sit there and stare at it all, lol.

Danno77 said:
totally jealous of your woodshed. I like the thing packed full of wood and then one little patio chair amidst it, like sometimes you just sit there and stare at it all, lol.

I figure one more row down . . . and then I'll have enough room for the big screen TV. ;) :)

Ductape said:
What the heck ??!!! That wood shed is nicer than 33% of the houses up your way !!

And probably just about as drafty. ;)

Note: If you look closely you'll see the Official Maine Roofing material on the side of the shed . . . ;)

firefighterjake said:
Well I had an exceptionally boring weekend . . . at one point I was so bored I was taking pictures of my sleeping cat . . . which will probably make an appearance here sooner or later.

I did however take a picture of my woodshed to show how little wood I have used so far . . . first shot just shows the "new" sled shed addition with my brother-in-law's sleds . . . second picture shows the wood usage. The shed is 12 x 20 . . . so far I've taken a little more than two of the interior rows which are maybe 6 feet wide.

Hey Jake,
How did you support those blocks? Your shed looks like something I could do in my yard. I'd like to do maybe 24' though.
Nice chair.

Well... I've burned about 3/4 cord so far this year. Woodpile has a decent dent in it so it is showing it but I figure I have 3 3/4 left in there so I am not (yet) worried about making it this year. I'm getting better at managing the stove and the family seems to be acclimating to cooler temperatures - warmer than we kept the oil, but cooler than when we started burning during the euphoria of the initial shoulder season. Certainly don't have enough wood to keep those initial temps during January (or enough stove for the amount of space I'm heating!).

I feel the need for a nice woodshed though. This lifting a tarp that is getting holes in it (already) each time I get wood is no fun. However I'm glad I have it covered - I can tell a difference from last year when I didn't cover it at all and the wood was iced over or wet when I had to move it up to the deck. The mini-shed on the deck is doing a good job - we had a couple days of ice on the roof and it deflected the drips away from the top of the woodpile so at least I didn't have iced over pieces to bring in and drip on the floor.

Bit of trivia - I've added up 1480 degree days so far this heating season. Last year I burned for a total of 4750 degree days. I can't say that I'm 30% through the season though as the dates don't line up. However based on my wood consumption it does seem that I'm burning about 25% or so less wood/degree day than last year. Shoulder season may be throwing the whole thing off, but it is some interesting trivia to track as the season progresses.

I'm getting close to a cord already but have more pine and punky elm than I thought. Just got home from a 10 day trip and got a path cleared out to the wood stack in back, got some snow cleared off the stack and cleared out the branches that had fallen from a pine and had taken down my phone and cable lines, came inside and took my stuff off, looked out the window and saw that it had started snowing again.

Welcome to winter!

First year burning and i will probably run out in Feb, even though I started collecting wood a year ago. Oh well, back to the central heating then, not that big of a deal...

At least I am set for the next two years, with about 6-7 cords split and stacked. I just don't want to bother with green wood.

FirefigherJake, do you have plans for that shed or did you just wing it?

PapaDave said:
firefighterjake said:

Hey Jake,
How did you support those blocks? Your shed looks like something I could do in my yard. I'd like to do maybe 24' though.
Nice chair.

I am built on ledge so I get very little frost in the ground here . . . at least very little heaving . . . so with the exception of the four corner blocks -- which are resting on the remains of what was a very large swingset cemented into the ground (those blocks are actually sitting on the concrete/metal sauna tube like block that was left behind after I cut the steel pipe) -- most of the blocks and large rocks are resting directly on the ground (well I did lay in a half foot to foot of gravel underneath.

The reason I went 20 feet was due to the size of the existing swingset . . . it just worked out that way.

A nice benefit is technically this is not a permanent structure . . . nice for tax purposes . . . of course I think moving this shed might be a challenge.

op_man1 said:
First year burning and i will probably run out in Feb, even though I started collecting wood a year ago. Oh well, back to the central heating then, not that big of a deal...

At least I am set for the next two years, with about 6-7 cords split and stacked. I just don't want to bother with green wood.

I jotted down some ideas that I had on paper . . . but more or less just went with what made sense to me from a structural standpoint . . . my wife says I tend to overthink and overbuild things . . . but I would rather be excused of that than having to deal with a heavy snow load crushing my shed and having to start rebuilding it.

firefighterjake said:
op_man1 said:

I jotted down some ideas that I had on paper . . . but more or less just went with what made sense to me from a structural standpoint . . . my wife says I tend to overthink and overbuild things . . . but I would rather be excused of that than having to deal with a heavy snow load crushing my shed and having to start rebuilding it.

I've never really built anything like that, although I have done wall framing. Hope it's not too difficult for a relative beginner... I really need to build a shed next spring, there is really too much snow here. I live in the suburbs and the shed would really make the yard look less junky as well. Yours looks like something that could work in our yard - not too complicated but nice to look at.

op_man1 said:
firefighterjake said:
op_man1 said:

I've never really built anything like that, although I have done wall framing. Hope it's not too difficult for a relative beginner... I really need to build a shed next spring, there is really too much snow here. I live in the suburbs and the shed would really make the yard look less junky as well. Yours looks like something that could work in our yard - not too complicated but nice to look at.

If you can frame a wall you can build a shed . . . trust me . . . I'm no great carpenter.

Status
Not open for further replies.