Winter is Coming

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sisu

Feeling the Heat
Sep 28, 2009
Ontario
I just had to put that out there; not only for the Game of Thrones fans, but it is a motto that applies to all of us woodburners. It is something I say to my neighbours, when they ask why I am collecting firewood now.

+1

Drove by a local lumber mill this morning - a big skid of h/w blocks stacked out curbside - now has my name on it, I'll be picking it up later this week (at least a couple trips with my truck). Probably will grab a couple more over the next month or so (as time permits). Cut and split some blow downs in the past couple weeks or so. Lots of big branches on the property from past winter, etc. and more dead standing on the back 40 - all going on the pile. Old man winter is just napping right now so I take any opportunity to fuel up early.

The guy in the lumber mill tells me that people panic in November, and also at the tail end of the burning season (when they run short - particularly this year, where winter dragged on) - the skids seem to go fast at those times (gotta almost get there when they put them out). But thru the summer nobody bothers. It's kinda funny, but works out well for me. Great way to supplement the wood that I cut, without breaking the bank.

I know I feel as though I'm behind. I burned about 3 cords last winter and haven't yet picked up anything to replace it.

I am about half though stacking my "ready to burn" pile next to the driveway (sort of like filling the shed with dried wood, but a tarp on top instead of a shed). I like to put 4 cords there in a big cube about 5-6' tall.

Luckily I was more then 3 years ahead and burning less than I had budgeted for so I'm not going to be at a loss, but I still should at least stack some green to replace the volume I burned.

Winter is indeed coming - and will certainly be here in a blink of an eye so if I don't stay on this I'll regret it eventually eh?

Starts next month in Australia.

Reactions: ScotO
Couple nights of freezing temps here in Bend. Just to remind me what cold feels like, I guess. Like I need reminding. <>

30's here tomorrow. Summer is not here yet.

They are calling for a cool weekend here too. But as far as the topic is concerned I'm good for this years wood, all stacked and ready to go. Next years is fairly close to being ready too. The year after is still in log form, my summer work. Talk about peace of mind, feels good to know the winters fuel is a few feet from the back door.

the skids seem to go fast at those times (gotta almost get there when they put them out). But thru the summer nobody bothers.
That strikes me as odd. Aren't hardwoods relatively scarce that far north? I'd think people would be grabbing that stuff any time of year...

That strikes me as odd. Aren't hardwoods relatively scarce that far north? I'd think people would be grabbing that stuff any time of year...

No shortage of hardwoods - we're not too far from Michigan ("Northern Ontario" is a big chunk of the pie). Quite a few outfits that deliver cut / split around here. I don't think we have any of the wide variety of hardwoods I read about here on the forum, but lots of maple, pretty good run of birch (my property is over 90% maple, + big ugly old yellow birch, etc.).

Still, I don't get it either. I think the scroungers (like me) like it 'cause it's pretty cheap, and it is nice clean stuff (no bark, dirt, etc.). But I think many people just put it out of mind until the sh$t (weather) hits the fan, and then they go on a tear. These are the folks that procrastinate, wait for it to get cold, then go load up, take it home, and throw it in the stove that day (from what the guys at the mill tell me anyway, they see a lot of that). They do tell people it needs to dry, but I guess folks don't always wanna listen. I find some that burns beautifully after a year, some pieces gotta sit for a couple years (probably since it's a mix of hardwoods..?).

I'll do more dry-by's over the summer, and I'm sure a couple more skids will come home with me. The others can fight over it in November :)....

Hello

Now is the time for any gasket replacement or stove painting while the stove is not cranking away! Nothing like a good coat of paint at the beginning of summer to not only keep the rust away but make it look cool too!

Hello

Now is the time for any gasket replacement or stove painting while the stove is not cranking away! Nothing like a good coat of paint at the beginning of summer to not only keep the rust away but make it look cool too!

I have to agree with you Don, best time to get things ahead and ready for next season. Not to mention, while doing so you can manage to catch any needed repairs, upgrades etc.

Good reminder, Don. I'll be putting new gaskets on the door and on the window of my Napoleon 1900P.....she's long overdue....

You can always tell who the pros are - they're the ones setting up wood in the spring, or other times with a big pile already put back. Other people feel the first cold night in October and start thinking about getting some wood...

Do you mean like this Knots? Date on picture is May 1. Notice there are a couple wood piles behind there. There is even more behind there that you can not see. Then there is more by....oh well, never mind. We have plenty.

Splitting-2013d.JPG

Very nice...

I used to live just outside NYC. Very few people heated primarily with wood. In the spring it was a wood scrounging bonanza 'cuz very few people thought about firewood. Come October, they would be calling around and looking.

Now, living in Maine, more than half of the people around me heat with wood seriously. Once the snow receded, everybody was out cutting, hauling, and splitting...

Status
Not open for further replies.