Winter is gettin' old

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I come home tonight and the water faucet on the side of the house is spraying water all over the place. Nice layer of ice on everything. Guess i forgot to turn the cut off valve off in fall. Dont know why it didnt burst when we had all that bitter cold nights past month?? Tonight aint to bad and yet it burst.

At least it's outside.

I heard somewhere that the great lakes are breaking records for the size of the ice sheets???
That can't help with the warm up...

This is the first winter that I've had leaks in the house. The roof isn't old but there's a lot of snow on it. I'll never put a skylight in a house again. They make there own mini ice dams and leak. Velux has a good flashing system but I still have leaks.

I heard somewhere that the great lakes are breaking records for the size of the ice sheets???
That can't help with the warm up...
Lake Superior, just 40 miles north of here froze over this year and it doesn't happen often, about once every ten years. It iced up early in the season so the ice will be thicker I'd guess.

This is the first winter that I've had leaks in the house. The roof isn't old but there's a lot of snow on it. I'll never put a skylight in a house again. They make there own mini ice dams and leak. Velux has a good flashing system but I still have leaks.

I love skylights bit I can't bring myself to put holes in my perfectly good roof.

I put them in my customers roofs but warn them thoroughly first to really think about what they're doing.

I (knock on wood) have never had a call back for a leak. You may want to look at re doing the flashing this summer. Add a little extra ice n water shield 3' all the way around it.

Tough when water starts moving up hill.

I love skylights bit I can't bring myself to put holes in my perfectly good roof.

I put them in my customers roofs but warn them thoroughly first to really think about what they're doing.

I (knock on wood) have never had a call back for a leak. You may want to look at re doing the flashing this summer. Add a little extra ice n water shield 3' all the way around it.

Tough when water starts moving up hill.
Thanks for the advise and I'll look at it this summer. I have 3 skylights in the house and the one in the master bedroom is the one that is leaking. I think that roof is 4/12 and the other two are in a 10/12 cathedral ceiling next to each other. They are ok so far. I for sure must have had a hole in my head when I put the SL in the bedroom. With the early sunrise in the summer and such.

Skylights usually equals too much heat comin in in the summer and too much going out in the winter aside from the leaks.

Thanks for the advise and I'll look at it this summer. I have 3 skylights in the house and the one in the master bedroom is the one that is leaking. I think that roof is 4/12 and the other two are in a 10/12 cathedral ceiling next to each other. They are ok so far. I for sure must have had a hole in my head when I put the SL in the bedroom. With the early sunrise in the summer and such.
When we moved into our current house there were 3 skylights. Never a skylight fan but lived with them for a couple years. Uncontrolled light, eventually will leak and were hot in summer, cold in winter so I removed them. Maybe a premium brand with electric shades and openers are nicer to live with but for me the roof is best off with the fewest penetrations in it.

Reactions: WiscWoody
Agreed, but the house is efficient for its size and being that it's just myself and my dogs here. My electric is minuscule at 260-300 KWh a month and heat is nearly nothing. But the house faces north on a lake and I wanted more natural light. Funny how the other side of the lake was built up already and this side had all kinds of lots when I bought it....Hmm...

Last edited:
Reactions: Warm_in_NH
I am lucky enough to own a home on the North side of a hill so I hear ya on trying to gather as much light as you can.

Last time we had this much snow I had snow banks on the all shade areas well into May.
The local building inspector stopped by for a visit one day and remarked that he's been all over town and he honestly believed I had the last snow bank around.
Not a distinction to be proud of....

Reactions: WiscWoody
I'm getting tired of walking on squeaky snow.
The science is squeaky snow.
When you walk on snow, your boots apply a pressure. If the temperature of the snow is warmer than approximately 18°F, then the pressure exerted by your boot partially melts the snow under your boot and no sound is made.

When the snow is colder than 18°F, the pressure from your boot does not melt the snow, and instead the ice crystals beneath your boot are crushed making a squeaking sound.

I am lucky enough to own a home on the North side of a hill so I hear ya on trying to gather as much light as you can.

Same situation here....two tube skylights in the living room make a huge difference. I have snow when everyone else has forgotten about it. And my daffodils are 10 days behind everyone elses.

supposed to snow again tonite! Yeeeeeaaaaaa!

I sure am sorry for all you old folks that don't have fun in the winter any more. I am only 57, so it is still fun for me. I did 2 miles on my new military surplus snowshoes yesterday. They were,,,OK,,,not as floaty as i expected.

supposed to snow again tonite! Yeeeeeaaaaaa!

I sure am sorry for all you old folks that don't have fun in the winter any more. I am only 57, so it is still fun for me. I did 2 miles on my new military surplus snowshoes yesterday. They were,,,OK,,,not as floaty as i expected.

I had a set of snow shoes in my hands at Cabella's the other day. On sale but still over $100. I said, "self, it's February, sure they're on sale but winter is on its way out, don't waste the money."
Since then we've had over 18" of new snow, more forecasted, and we had to play with the dog on the snow blown paths in the yard all weekend cause no one could walk on the woods.
I may buy them next weekend. It'll guarantee an early thaw and several years of snow drought to follow.

Being -31 C plus wind chill, please run and do not hesitate to buy them. :)
go! If you do NOT have the power to control the weather,,, you get to go snowshoing!

Expecting another 2-4" overnight then we are looking at a thaw starting Tuesday and picking up Wednesday. Hope we get enough warming during the day and not too cold overnight that we get severe ice damming. The gutters are iced up but not too bad however there is enough snow of the roof that it could get epic under the wrong conditions.

I've got some ice damming at my place. Some drips last night. Hoping for a fast thaw! There's no way I can reach to do anything about it either.

Status
Not open for further replies.