Winter night memories ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbie

Minister of Fire
I was wondering if anyone else likes to go out on a "breath freezing" cold night and watch the wood smoke slowly make it's way out of the stove pipe ?

My favorite time for this is on a moonlit night, when the air is calm, and the smoke rises straight up into the sky.

I did this often last winter and before going back in I filled my nostrils with that wonderful smell of outside winter wood smoke.

Robbie. :red:

Actually, I go outside on that cold winter night to make sure I have no smoke going up into the sky. Its the way I make sure I getting a good, clean burn.

Perfection to me is a 600 degree woodstove inside, and when I go outside I see absolutely nothing coming out of the chimney!!!

Robbie said:
I was wondering if anyone else likes to go out on a "breath freezing" cold night and watch the wood smoke slowly make it's way out of the stove pipe ?

My favorite time for this is on a moonlit night, when the air is calm, and the smoke rises straight up into the sky.

I did this often last winter and before going back in I filled my nostrils with that wonderful smell of outside winter wood smoke.

Robbie. :red:
Ah , Yes . Great memories . Really nice to think about when its 108° during the day . I have a next door neighbor that has a fireplace so i get to see i the smoke i want during the winter . I get the chance to see our smoke when i "reload" the EPA stove but it dont last too long once the secondary burn kicks in and hits prim temp .
Good stuff . I do the same thing then come to my senses and think "what the hell am i doing outside"?

Sandor said:
Actually, I go outside on that cold winter night to make sure I have no smoke going up into the sky. Its the way I make sure I getting a good, clean burn.

Perfection to me is a 600 degree woodstove inside, and when I go outside I see absolutely nothing coming out of the chimney!!!

I'm with you Sandor. Smoke out of the chimney most likely means either I've JUST loaded the stove or it needs to get hotter. I like going out in the crisp mornings after the stove has been running good for an hour. I'm on my way to work and notice that there are a few people who have smoke coming from their chimneys, and I have nothing but a heat plume.

Warren said:
Sandor said:

I'm with you Sandor. Smoke out of the chimney most likely means either I've JUST loaded the stove or it needs to get hotter. I like going out in the crisp mornings after the stove has been running good for an hour. I'm on my way to work and notice that there are a few people who have smoke coming from their chimneys, and I have nothing but a heat plume.

Yep, me too. I Like the looks of that heat wave or white steam compared to some of my neighbors chimneys that beltch smoke. Also like to take in that smell.

Me, I save a few cherry splits when guest are comming over. Not too much to complain about with the sweet smelling cherry.
More than one visitor mentions experiencing that sweet aroma.

i also get favorable comments when i'm burning black walnut and hickory. half my wood supply is made up of these two species. of course i burn the black walnut during the warmer days.

elkimmeg said:
Me, I save a few cherry splits when guest are comming over. Not too much to complain about with the sweet smelling cherry.
More than one visitor mentions experiencing that sweet aroma.

Was eyeballing my cord of apple for the same reason this weekend..when it is below zero and you are outside it is comforting knowing there is a few chunks of knarly apple in there...makes it all worthwhile....

fortunately we were able to do something outside this weekend..low 80's and dry...

Great thoughts, my stove smoked a little more last season because I had to use some wet wood. This year should be much better but I still expect to see some steam or something coming out on very cold nights.

Another memory, a calm wet rainy drizzly day when the smoke seems to linger around the house and sometimes even wrap around trees in the yard.

I have had smoke come down so low it entered my front porch and came in my front door if I opened it.

Robbie.

I burn my stove as clean as I can, but I usually have some smoke coming out of the chimney. But yea...I like to hang outside with the dogs on a cold clear night and check out the smoke. I burned a good bit of apple last year and man I love the smell.

I had a cord of old Creosote coated CCA pilings from a dock I once had... stuff burned like nothing else. Beautiful, mesmerizing flames. Man, I used to go out on a nice, calm winter's night, smell that wonderful aroma, get a nice buzzy tingle in my head, ... and... wait, what was typing about... oh yeah, turnips. So, I plant the turnips in nice rows, and fertilize them with ash from my friend's coal stove. Wonderful stuff that ash.

-- Mike

Or at least sniffing the fumes. :-S

Mike Wilson said:
I had a cord of old Creosote coated CCA pilings from a dock I once had... stuff burned like nothing else. Beautiful, mesmerizing flames. Man, I used to go out on a nice, calm winter's night, smell that wonderful aroma, get a nice buzzy tingle in my head, ... and... wait, what was typing about... oh yeah, turnips. So, I plant the turnips in nice rows, and fertilize them with ash from my friend's coal stove. Wonderful stuff that ash.

-- Mike
Hi , My name is Mike Wilson ............... I am a creosote-aholic .

Status
Not open for further replies.