Winter not over yet

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
From accuweather.com, the forecast for upper Michigan:

A Winter Storm Watch remains in effect from Tuesday morning through Wednesday evening.

Snow developing Tuesday morning will become heavy at times Tuesday evening. In addition... blustery winds developing Tuesday night will create areas of blowing snow. The snow will diminish in intensity on Wednesday. There exists the potential of receiving 10 inches or more of total snowfall by Wednesday evening.

Amusing is the comparison of this coming Friday compared to last Christmas. (Apologize that the formatting does not work great.)

City Avg. Mon. Tues. Wed. Thurs. Fri. Christmas 2006
Minneapolis 50 53 40 35 36 34 34
Chicago 53 61 65 42 38 38 37
Detroit 52 67 70 44 37 37 42
Philadelphia 57 75 72 57 49 47 49
New York City 56 68 60 52 48 45 45

One more little tidbit on the weather. I see where someone had their first thunder of the year. Here in Michigan we had thunder (with snow) early in March and again thunder last week. Old saying: Thunder in March, dry summer.

Sure glad I don't live up there in Michigan!

Rainy and chilly here. Snow flurries fore-casted
for later in the week but no accumulation expected.

Yesterday: Sunny, 63F. Shut down the pellet stove opened
the windows, then went out on the scoot for a couple of hours.
Right now: Rainy, 38F. Disassembled the inside of the stove
and gave it the full once a month cleaning, then fired it back up.

Looks like we'll be burning for another 4 weeks or so here.

zeta said:
Sure glad I don't live up there in Michigan!

Sure wish I did more of the time! Already 80 here, again. I'll take snow. I was up in the UP over Christmas, and it sucked. Rain and no snow. They lost a month of snowmobile/ski season this year.

I hope it is dry this summer, dry=less mosquitos. On the other hand, dry=forest fires too. Don't need that.

Hey where is that weatherman with his degree in Meteorology. I believe he is from Newtown. He predicted this weather was coming a good week ago. He had his comoputer model maps and everything to back his forcast up. And I'll be darn if it doesn't look like he hit the bullseye!
Nice job Mr. Weatherman, but I hate your forecast for the coming week!

John

Oh poopy diapers, they're taking high 20's here tonight. Warms up during the daytime, but I want to be past frost now.

Oh well, time to load up the stove.

We are supposed to have snow flurries Wed. as well in SE Wisconsin. We have had a few days of no burning here and there, but mostly we just feed the wood in a little slower and make smaller fires. This is also the winter we had thundersnow. Seemed weird to me, but others knew a word for it, so evidently it happens from time to time.

I have been annoyed with all the rain lately. I have been campaigning for school board, and rain doesn't go well with walking around handing out flyers. The forecasts here were not very accurate for anything more than a day in advance, and even then not quite right.

Just a flood watch here in the thumb for tomorrow.
* WIDESPREAD RAINFALL AMOUNTS OF 1 TO 3 INCHES WITH LOCALLY HIGHER
AMOUNTS ARE POSSIBLE IN ABOUT A 15 HOUR TIME FRAME. THIS...ON
TOP OF SATURATED GROUND AND ABOVE NORMAL LEVELS IN AREA STREAMS
AND DRAINAGES...COULD PRODUCE FLOODING

You uppers get to have all the fun! Then 35 in the daytime and 25 lows. Time to get some wood on the porch winter is coming back for the weekend and pull the canoe up the hill.

This weather su--s cold drizzle mid 30's forcasted for most of the week with snow showers mixed in.

Crappy Golf weather and still burning the main stove. What's worse still using up the wood. The only difference is ,
I do not need to run the stove top over 500. 450 will keep the home confortable

Yeah, I have a pile that I didnt want to break into. That cold snap we had in SE Massachusetts used up much wood. Back in January I was thinking that pile can be for next year, sadly I will have to tear into it, AGAIN. Pallet scrounging at work isnt going to get it done with this weeks weather. Too bad, that pile is one full cord measured with a tape. Oh well, 2007-08 wood is drying and 2008-09 isnt far behind it. Reading some of Elks posts in the past got me motivated to have a two year supply ready to go, by the end of burning season (April) I should be pretty close.

BTW Pine is a pain in the ass to work with, friggin sap gets everywhere, my four year old son has some on his hands from "helping" daddy, I ROFL when I saw it on his hands last night :)
I made my mind up this season to have more Pine ready to burn, I have plenty of it and it is perfect wood for this time of year too.

Looks like the cold is coming back here too - high 40's low 20's by thursday. Guess I compacted my stacks too early.

I just picked up some pine too, not so much for fall/spring but to burn down oak coal beds in january. It's the easiest wood to get around here, even though less abundant, because absolutely nobody wants it. If I had the room I could just keep collecting it, but it starts to crowd out the hardwood. I'm stuck with about 1.5 years supply max (all woods).

It has been hot in Tenn. for two weeks 70s and 80s, leaves are about 50% on almost all trees and the others are in full bloom. :)

Grass mowed 2 times, dandilions and butter cups are everywhere........!!

Then we hear...........there is a cold front coming on thursday bringing mid 50s day time and 30s at night !!! :ahhh:

I have about 4 days worth of wood on the front porch..........this will finish my wood burning for this season, not because I'm out of wood, but the cold will be over I'm certain after this.

Yes, by easter, winter will be gone for sure.

Robbie

Robbie said:
It has been hot in Tenn. for two weeks 70s and 80s, leaves are about 50% on almost all trees and the others are in full bloom. :)

Grass mowed 2 times, dandilions and butter cups are everywhere........!!

Then we hear...........there is a cold front coming on thursday bringing mid 50s day time and 30s at night !!! :ahhh:

I have about 4 days worth of wood on the front porch..........this will finish my wood burning for this season, not because I'm out of wood, but the cold will be over I'm certain after this.

Yes, by easter, winter will be gone for sure.

Robbie

Hey Robbie,
I really think it's time you move up North and enjoyed the True Beauty of Mother Nature!

John

Honestly, I would love to walk thru crunchy snow and ice for a whole winter...........not anymore around here though.

This is how spring arrived. We had a fire one night all night. It was about 35 degrees, the next morning it was 60 degrees by 10 am and from here it went to 75............been 75 or 80 every day for the last 2 and a half weeks and mid 60s at night. No heat needed at all for over 2 weeks.

Actually had to kick air conditioner on 4 times in the last 2 days, it got to 79 in my house.

Here is another weird thing, we had our house at 79 several times this past winter and felt cozy and comfy.........what is the difference ? %-P

Oh, here is what is coming in the next hour from up north, high winds, possible T-storms and tornado watches all over.

I am just below Knoxville........

http://www.weather.com/weather/map/...animated&day=1&from=36hr_tornWatch_interstate

Robbie

Robbie said:
Here is another weird thing, we had our house at 79 several times this past winter and felt cozy and comfy.........what is the difference ?

The temperature of the inner surface of the walls.

When you are heating the house the indoor air temp may be 79° but the surface of the walls will be lower say 60 or 65 depends on insulation and drafts etc.. So your body is seeing this lower temp radiated heat from the walls so you feel cooler.

When the sun is heating the house and the indoor air temp is 79° the surface of the wall will be higher say 75 or 80 and so your body is feeling the higher temp radiation from the walls.

Cold weather arrived here this morning. High for today in the 20's low in the teens, gusty NW winds. Even a little snow on the ground. Looks like the stove will be burning 24/7 for the rest of the week.

Still winter here in Nova Scotia too.Sub-freezing nights,days are just at or above 0 C.Just ranout of good dry wood,forced into burning pallets,popsicle sticks,dead cats-whatever gives a btu.Having next winter's wood all split and ready(green) is like dying of thirst while adrift in the Atlantic.

Yep, it's cold again. Went out this morning to get a few things out of the van and it was windy with snow fluries. I was really hoping that we were done with this for the year.

I had to re-load the stack in the garage and basement with a couple weeks worth of wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.