Winter over?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry_NJ

Minister of Fire
Apr 19, 2008
New Jersey USA
Well, north central New Jersey set a new record high temperature of 67 degrees today. I haven't had a fire in the wood insert for a few days and it is beginning to look like I may not have another until next winter. I note my electric bill that I paid today was almost $400, and that's with a geothermal heat pump and running the wood insert on well seasoned hard wood on the colder evenings... and going to be at midnight with a couple of fresh slabs (about 15-20 pounds of wood) on the coals. Even though the insert was not loaded for an overnight run some checking indicated that the heat pump was still held off until around 4 AM, by the wood fire. Those nights the outside temp got into single digits.... cold for this part of the country.

I'm ready for spring.

I wouldn't place money on that. By Tues. you will be cooler. Looking out toward Friday they are predicting a very cold mass of air in the middle of the country. If this moves eastward the following week, winter will be back with a vengeance.

Jerry_NJ said:
Well, north central New Jersey set a new record high temperature of 67 degrees today. I haven't had a fire in the wood insert for a few days and it is beginning to look like I may not have another until next winter. I note my electric bill that I paid today was almost $400, and that's with a geothermal heat pump and running the wood insert on well seasoned hard wood on the colder evenings... and going to be at midnight with a couple of fresh slabs (about 15-20 pounds of wood) on the coals. Even though the insert was not loaded for an overnight run some checking indicated that the heat pump was still held off until around 4 AM, by the wood fire. Those nights the outside temp got into single digits.... cold for this part of the country.

I'm ready for spring.

No winter isn't over, though it seems like we will be hitting season temps at the lowest for the most part in our area. Which hasn't been the case since November...

Jerry_NJ said:

I'm ready for spring.

Sounds like a pretty high electric bill for geo ,more in line with air to air, and with wood stove assist as well.

Wow...very surprised at that elec bill. I wanted to investigate Geo Thermal but with 400/month elec bill it will be a looooong tiime to break even

Ha ha, winter over.... :)

In Central NY, we went from 55 degrees and sunny yesterday to 70 to 80 mph winds last night and snow with temperatures dropping to 20 degrees F overnight.

Heading your way, likely.

22ºF here this AM. I think that was just our mid winter thaw, which was pretty welcome. Knocked the snow levels down pretty good here, which is good because I was running out of places to get rid of the snow when I cleaned the driveways and paths to the barn with the skid steer.

I don't mind winter in the early part, and I don't mind it when it starts to loosen it's grip by the end of February, I just don't like relentless cold where you can't get a chance to fix things that break, keep up with the animals getting the barn cleaned out, etc. And I hate mud, that that's the next thing that comes along! So I'll sit in front of the fire a bit longer, thank you. :)

16 degrees here and bunch of rain, freezing rain, and and six inches of snow predicted
for tomorrow. Not over by a long shot here. I've got about two cords of wood left in
the pole shed and will be using most of it till May.

I was a little surprised by the $400 electric bill, but I expected it to be high because the power company estimated the previous bill....too much snow to get to read my meter. I'd estimate my true 31 day usage was closer to $350, still a bundle. My delivered electric runs about 18 cents a KWH, and that's with a 1 cent per KWH saving by buying the power from a 3rd party. That saved me about $20 this last bill over buying from my "Utility". A family friend living in a condo, much smaller and with some protected walls and ceiling with occupied other units, has baseboard resistive electric heat and spent over $500 for the same period. She tells me she turns down rooms not in use and runs the heat in the 60s and wears warm cloths.

I have checked my geothermal and can say when the resistive boost isn't running (it runs for about an hour in the morning when I bring the house up from 60 degrees to about 66 degrees) it is giving a COP of near 4 regardless of the outside temperature - and there are zero "defrost" cycles. This makes the electric less expensive than a wood fire if I pay for delivered wood, which is about 2/3rd of what I burn. The resistive is held at 5KW, or about 17,000 btu. The design provides for a resistive boost of 10KW with the second stage in (I have that disabled) or 34,000 btus. My HP is two stage and run by an "intelligent" (microprocessor) control. The second stage HP only delivers about 34,000 btu, thus when running with 5KW resistive boost I'm getting about 51,000 btu and a total COP of about about 3, or uses only about 1/3 the electric power as resistive heat. Again, given the cost of wood (sorry I am over 70 and being a lumber jack is not outside my physical capability even though I do harvest about a cord of wood from my property - and what I scavenge from neighbors), the cost of heat with my HP is very competitive. Heat ain't cheap anymore. Yes I have figured in the cost of maintenance on the HP, I have spent about $2,000 repairs in the 17 years it has been in my home. To this add $0.00 for chimney cleaning and for periodic maintenance other than filter replacement. I suppose the unit similar to what I have would run at least $20,000 today, it cost me about $12,000 - complete, less about $2,000 in rebates from my power company.

I am running short of two year seasoned HW, and was looking at the compressed wood bricks, e.g., Tractor Supply sells EcoBrick. That looks to be a good back-up/filler at $240 or so a ton. makes the wood stove almost as easy as a pellet stove - but alas TS was out when I checked a couple of weeks back and they have the same view as my post here: winter is over, we're not ordering an more stock to winter stuff. I plan to buy a ton next year, but would like to try a small amount first.

winter had a holiday yesterday but is back today. High winds from the west off of Lake Huron, no problem with draft today. High of -5C today, wind chill is cold, thats all I know.
Have to go buy wood this aft to last the year out. Would like to try the EcoBrick out without buying a skid load.

Not done here in Michigan. Today high of 29 f. Tuesday low 12f and high of 25f. Why did mother nature pull that mean trick the last few days. Well gotta go stack more wood. Lol

looking out the window it looks like it is just starting. White out conditions can't see 50 yards, Wind is gusting to 50mph. Might be some good scrounging opportunities.

Jerry_NJ said:

I'm ready for spring.

Windchill tonight -17 with five inches of snow predicted earlier today, next load will be some nice three year old sugar maple.

Zap

ratherbfishin said:
looking out the window it looks like it is just starting. White out conditions can't see 50 yards, Wind is gusting to 50mph. Might be some good scrounging opportunities.
I,m thinking the same for scrounging. We don't have the snow but consistant wind gusts of 50mph

Two days in the seventies, today fifty with fifty mile an hour winds. Temp dropping like a rock tonight and snow for next week.

I return you now to your regularly scheduled Winter.

BrotherBart said:
Two days in the seventies, today fifty with fifty mile an hour winds. Temp dropping like a rock tonight and snow for next week.

I return you now to your regularly scheduled Winter.

I say push this crap south, and watch that one plow truck try and keep up in Atlanta.....
So whats the news on global warming? umm, when is that scheduled for again?

Hogwildz said:
I say push this crap south, and watch that one plow truck try and keep up in Atlanta.....
So whats the news on global warming? umm, when is that scheduled for again?

Something is going on. In the last twelve months we have broken high, low and snow records. Set high temp last summer and the last two days. Snow records last Feb. Hit 90 the first week of April.

Don't know about global warming but the climate change thing has a ring to it.

BrotherBart said:
Something is going on. Don't know about global warming but the climate change thing has a ring to it.

Holy crap Ralf, we agree again. :coolsmile: Cant wait till Thursday.

11F here right now. Storm maybe tomorrow? maybe a foot of snow?. Usually I stop seeing snow on top of the mountain near me in mid may.

Jerry_NJ said:

I'm ready for spring.
Its 19 Degrees here in Dutchess County Ny and windy, Id say winter is here still. Hope you didnt give away your wood.

I know you are going to hate me for this. But as I was out pruning plants today and decided that I need to mow the lawn tomorrow. The grass is about 6" tall.

I thought it was pretty warm today, but when I came in from working outside most of the day it was only 8*. It's dropped down to 4* now.

Mow the lawn? Really? Still have another 3 months before I can think of doing that!

Status
Not open for further replies.