Winter-proof Wheelbarrow

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would only buy a contractors grade concrete wheelbarrow. This is my 1985
that's usually outside. I spray it up with WD40 sometimes (the wood too). I put a lot of that green
tire sealer goop in the tire a few years ago to stop a slow leak and it worked great.
When the tire finally rots out I'll put a solid replacement on it.

Attachments

• wheelbarrow.jpg
    wheelbarrow.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 255
ewgny said:
I would only buy a contractors grade concrete wheelbarrow. This is my 1985
that's usually outside. I spray it up with WD40 sometimes (the wood too). I put a lot of that green
tire sealer goop in the tire a few years ago to stop a slow leak and it worked great.
When the tire finally rots out I'll put a solid replacement on it.

Yea, that's just like mine except my handles are metal. Btw, Freidman Brothers hardware often sells the solid rubber wheels for $23 (down from $50-$60) twice a year. I've already bought 3 of them.

rowerwet said:
when there is snow I move my pellets to the OPB with a wooden toboggan like this one,
http://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Flyer-Classic-Wooden-Toboggan/dp/B00009936A
not sure how well it would work for wood

Parents have an old 6 footer in the garage at their acreage 1 hr west of me.Not sure of its age,but it was pretty old when my 4 older siblings & I went it sledding over 35 yrs ago,then later on my nieces & nephews used it also.When I was in mid-late 20's a few times each winter I'd tie my saw case & maul to that frame,pull it across the neighbor's flat 7 acre corn/soybean field to cut some dead stuff across the way.Sometimes the snow would be over a foot & a half deep,too much for old Dodge Power Wagon to push through.Easy going downhill with it,not much fun pulling toboggan up hill with 200lbs of stuff on it however.I last used it 3 weeks ago hauling a few logs I cut from a standing dead 14" White Oak to the shed about 300 ft to the west.Not bad on level ground,was pretty tiring since about 1/2 way its a slight incline.Next time I'll use wheelbarrow instead.

I bought this one used in 2003 when we bought the house. I figure that I will have it forever or so. I might upgrade to one of those fancy solid tires though. The tire gets soft every 3 or 4 months.
0526101156.jpg

SolarAndWood said:
CTwoodburner said:
Forget the plastic in the winter where it will crack easily...and forget the 2 wheel models unless you don't have any physical abilities

Wish you had posted this a few weeks ago. Everyone thinks I'm a moron with no physical abilities now. :coolsmirk:

Just as long as you realize that the single wheel is much more maneuverable. I enjoy the bit of a workout I get with it too in using all your stabilizing muscles.

Status
Not open for further replies.