Winter Shows Up In Virginia

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBart

Modesterator
Staff member
Been in the twenties for a few nights but not bad in the daytime. Well, it has been snowing for an hour now (12:30 pm) and 29 outside. An even white coverage on the ground and where it goes from here we shall see. Doesn't compare to you folks with "real" winter going on but it is real enough for me. >:-(

It took some hasty moving to replace the wood pile shelter that got shredded yesterday by steady 25 mph winds with God know what speed gusts.

No snow freaking cold 21 now singles last night. I had a big round in the stove, that prevented me from loading it up the way
I wanted to. I lost 4 drgrees overnight 68 this morning inside up to 71 now. I'm off th hand split some rounds I cut a weeks back, 28" oak is just too heavy
I am using wedges and shedge hammer to quarter those suckers. Things split easier in this cold.

Yup, day late, and a dollar short....from my looking, it appears though that winter is here for at least the short haul. The local DC channels aren't hooking into it yet, but looking at the charts for the next several days, we look to maybe get another shot of precip of the frozen nature later in the week...that will be a biggie if all comes together...can you say.....Nor'easter. :)

I have been praying to the snow gods, and did the snow dance correctly this time, as opposed to the warmer weather and rain dance that I appear to have been doing over the last several weeks...easy mistake, they are nearly the same except by the foot you start on...my apologies to those in the mid-atlantic north, but I believe I danced the dance correctly this time.

Thanks, Kregars

It would be good to get some snow cover on the ground. It's starting to cloud up here, maybe we'll get something - the high here was 18 (sorry... that's probably warm to all of you in the real cold places), now its starting to drop a little.

We have an inch here in central Virginia, currently it is light frozen rain. I had to go to Lowes - lots of minivans in the ditch.

Yeah our "inch to two inches" by tomorrow morning is now two and a half on the ground and still coming down. Got groceries, got wood, got smokes and the office is right downstairs. I ain't going anywhere.

Same here - shelves stocked, big old thing of beef stew simmering in the crock pot. I'm even breaking into my prime reserves of well aged locust tonight. I hope I get to stay home tomorrow.

BrotherBart said:
Yeah our "inch to two inches" by tomorrow morning is now two and a half on the ground and still coming down. Got groceries, got wood, got smokes and the office is right downstairs. I ain't going anywhere.

More importantly you have the stove stocked with beer! :)

BeGreen said:
BrotherBart said:

Actually that is the one problem. Not a drop of beer or booze left in the house. I have to look at the ice that is falling right now on top of that snow without benefit of buzz.

Uh oh, that sounds serious. Do they use St. Bernards for brandy delivery in VA? I may be without candles and matches, but the cellar is stocked. Never know when an earthquake (tornado, in-laws, etc.) might strike.

I'm glad your getting the "winter" after it just dropped 7" on us , "off to be with the snow", we say , and onwards to the green field's out East and north.

Attachments

• P1010009.JPG
    P1010009.JPG
    171.6 KB · Views: 214
Roospike said:
I'm glad your getting the "winter" after it just dropped 7" on us , "off to be with the snow", we say , and onwards to the green field's out East and north.

That's what I'm talkin bout!!!
We got about an inch...real tease!!!
Cold weather is here for now, but still waiting for the "big one". Need my snow fix!

BrotherBart said:
BeGreen said:
BrotherBart said:

Actually that is the one problem. Not a drop of beer or booze left in the house. I have to look at the ice that is falling right now on top of that snow without benefit of buzz.

I still got a couple six packs of SPG dark and a few tasty buds, bring on the snow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.