Winter storing/starting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fireview2788

Minister of Fire
Apr 20, 2011
SW Ohio
I got my saw out yesterday and decided to give it a start just to make it easier when I start cutting in a few weeks. (I've found starting mine every so often saves my shoulder later on). When I got her fired up I found the chain was sluggish at first but soon was spinning along fine, I figured the oil was thick since I store it in an outside metal shed. What say all you wide sages, should it be stored in the garage when it won't be as cold or does it really matter?

f v

Could be tree sap/pitch in the bar groove and chain links. Bar oil will usually free things up but it might be time for a good cleaning.

All my saws are stored out in the cold with no heat and they start just fine all winter. The should be that way if they are in good working order.

fireview2788 said:
What say all you wide sages...

I BEG your pardon? ;-) I've had the same waist size-34- for 30 years, thank you very much!

Oops, I guess my fingers were sluggish this morning....

edit to read: Wise

fv

Store them where you can/or want.
I don't want mine in the shed (the thing is too small anyway). I don't want them in the garage (see shed for reason). I don't want them in the basement if I can help it... and I can (due to higher humidity). So, mine are on a smaller table in my dining room. I keep them clean and ready to go of course.
That reminds me. I need to get something to cut. I've had an itch for the past month or so.

Cheers

Mine are stored in the heat. The 880 is inside a few feet away from the gas fire place.

You guys who store your chain saws in the dining room and near the fireplace.... I gotta ask... Is there no woman in the house? My bride would no more let me store a chain saw in the living room than she'd let me butcher a deer at the kitchen sink.

Kenster said:
You guys who store your chain saws in the dining room and near the fireplace.... I gotta ask... Is there no woman in the house? My bride would no more let me store a chain saw in the living room than she'd let me butcher a deer at the kitchen sink.
Wow, tough woman there. I suppose cleaning parts in the dishwasher is verbotten as well .:<)

Nixon said:
Kenster said:
Wow, tough woman there. I suppose cleaning parts in the dishwasher is verbotten as well .:<)

Yeah, and you should have seen her when I started overhauling a tractor carburetor on the kitchen table.

Kenster said:
Nixon said:
Kenster said:

Yeah, and you should have seen her when I started overhauling a tractor carburetor on the kitchen table.

Key word: "Started" Most likely finished in the doghouse.... :lol:

fireview2788 said:
Oops, I guess my fingers were sluggish this morning....

edit to read: Wise

fv

That's probably because you were out in that cold shed... That's where we keep the saw too.

My saw hasn't seen a heated space in decades. If the chain is adjusted a bit on the tight side when it's been warmed up from use, it might get tight when it goes cold. If you grease the nose sprocket, it might get a bit stiff in the cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.