Winter storm is-a-comin'

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
stoveguy2esw said:
yanksforever said:
Werm said:
logger said:
You have that cool bar Mrs Rileys too. Well, its cool except for all the Red Sox crap in Yankee territory. The Belgian River Horse is great. We'd get along just fine. Down here you need the Flying Fish Double Expresso Porter.

Easy with the Red Sox crap.......

Red Sox Who???? Are they a real team??? :)

+1

WOOOO HOOOO!!! This is a major deal down here, might be our first white Christmas in a looooong time. Kinda ads to the holidays. Unfortunately, the sister-in-law invited herself over for the weekend with her 2 dogs, just in case she loses power! :mad: I guess there are times where being a wood burner comes to bite you in the A$$.

Oh well, I've got a week full of wood right outside the door and the fridge is full of seasonal brews. I'll take the kids out sledding tomorrow to get out of the house! :cheese:

Taking inventory now of the beer and liquor in stock........enough wood brought into the garage for the week, the Big Green JD is full of diesel and ready to plow...freezer full of deer (thinking the wife is making meatloaf tomorrow) LET IT SNOW!!!! I am ready for it!!!

Calling for more than 15 here in SE CT. May have to bring in an extra load tomorrow morning. Guess the winter is here and I can forget about cutting for a few months. Not sure which one I like more.
Oh wait, case of Flying Dog Double in the basement. I'll take the snow.
Chad

Man, listening to all y'all talk about the snow really makes me want it here! One of the things on my bucket list is to have a cutter ride on a snowy night during Christmas in New England with my sweetie with our feet on warm bricks and a blanket over our legs! Then I want to stop at a four or five story country family's home (you know the kind--big, white, nice porch, windows all fogged over and a candle in each, you know the place!) for hot chocolate and good conversation. I've wanted to do that since I was four! Reminds me of Frost's "Stopping by the woods on a snowy evening." <sigh!>

Alas, I live in West Texas where all we get is the cold, but not much snow. <whine>

Y'all stay warm. Enjoy! Sure wish I was in it with all y'all. Git out them long Johns, Bart! Y'all send me some pitchers, y'hear, so I can pine away! Much obliged!

Under Armour wins hands down over Long Johns, although I have both %-P

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
Under Armour wins hands down over Long Johns, although I have both %-P

Well, hey, Eileen, I was makin' sure that Bart understood, since he's so old, y'know. (He might not have discovered UA yet.) I have both, too, but I'm hear to tell you that flannel-lined, relaxed cut jeans are pretty darned comfy, too!

Hard to take pics sitting on the garden tractor in that thirty mile an hour wind and snow coming down at two inches an hour that the weather guy is promising tomorrow. There is the romantic side of winter, and then there is the reality of winter. Now back in the house with a beverage sitting by the stove is a whole nuther story. Gonna make chicken fried steak and gravy tomorrow. Nobody around here but me knows how to do it right. Beat the crap out of a hunk of round steak, bread it right and make a batch of gravy the consistency of wall paper paste. Priceless. Even better when the wife plops the plate on the table and says "Need anything else Sugar?"

Just like a waitress at Rip Griffin's Truckstop. :coolsmirk:

12" of snow on my deck rail already, 'Bart. You gotta be getting some of it up your way

wahoowad said:
12" of snow on my deck rail already, 'Bart. You gotta be getting some of it up your way

Yep. I did something I have never done. After the first couple of inches I went out and swept the deck. Now it looks like I was never there. "This is the big one 'Lizebeth." Gonna make the blizzard of 1996 look like a day at the beach.

Just started snowing here in Howad Co.(20 minutes west of Baltimore).
Calling for 12"+
Temp is 28 so I'll be able to use the leaf blower to clear the decks and walk.

Slow it down boys. I need to do some work in the morning. Friend just had the town drop a 24" hickory in the neighbors yard and he wants it gone or it is on Craigs.
Let me get till 2 or so.
Chad

Man, listening to all y’all talk about the snow really makes me want it here! One of the things on my bucket list is to have a cutter ride on a snowy night during Christmas in New England with my sweetie with our feet on warm bricks and a blanket over our legs! Then I want to stop at a four or five story country family’s home (you know the kind—big, white, nice porch, windows all fogged over and a candle in each, you know the place!) for hot chocolate and good conversation. I’ve wanted to do that since I was four! Reminds me of Frost’s “Stopping by the woods on a snowy evening.” <sigh!>

Yu must be old, if you go knocking on someones porch up here looking for hot chocolate you may get a shotgun instead.
Your welcome on my porch just identify your hearth.com membership badge first ;-)

pulldownclaw said:
WOOOO HOOOO!!! This is a major deal down here, might be our first white Christmas in a looooong time. Kinda ads to the holidays. Unfortunately, the sister-in-law invited herself over for the weekend with her 2 dogs, just in case she loses power! :mad: I guess there are times where being a wood burner comes to bite you in the A$$.

Oh well, I've got a week full of wood right outside the door and the fridge is full of seasonal brews. I'll take the kids out sledding tomorrow to get out of the house! :cheese:

Glad to see another person in RIC is excited about the snow! I'm just west of Midlothian Village and we already have a good 6" on the ground!

I'm ready. Had a half cord of well seasoned oak dropped this morning and a cord coming next week.

Badfish740 said:
Tonight when I get home I'll be bringing plenty of wood inside to feed the furnace without having to tromp through the snow and dig under tarps for dry wood. My wife did her part by picking up Saranac's "12 Beers of Winter" yesterday. It's going to be a good weekend ;)

Ya, you guys are sposed to get slammed!! It is gonna stay south of us as it looks right now. maybe 2 or so inches for us.

I'm at about 10 inches here with probably another 8 to come at least. Porch is loaded with wood I resplit Friday. I ike my wood in small spits. The flames just eat them up! So far the routine has been, go outside goof around with my son, come in and stick my feet on the hearth till they are semi warm, then back out. YAY! My two year old loves it!

weatherguy said:
Man, listening to all y’all talk about the snow really makes me want it here! One of the things on my bucket list is to have a cutter ride on a snowy night during Christmas in New England with my sweetie with our feet on warm bricks and a blanket over our legs! Then I want to stop at a four or five story country family’s home (you know the kind—big, white, nice porch, windows all fogged over and a candle in each, you know the place!) for hot chocolate and good conversation. I’ve wanted to do that since I was four! Reminds me of Frost’s “Stopping by the woods on a snowy evening.” <sigh!>

Yu must be old, if you go knocking on someones porch up here looking for hot chocolate you may get a shotgun instead.
Your welcome on my porch just identify your hearth.com membership badge first ;-)

Beg pardon! I AM old, but I forgot that that scene wouldn't be in Texas. That'd be th' way it'd be here, but 'parently not there. Actually, I meant to be stoppin' at a house of someone I knew, not total strangers, which we don't have down thisaway. :)

Does yore porch have snow on it 'bout now?

Beg pardon! I AM old, but I forgot that that scene wouldn’t be in Texas. That’d be th’ way it’d be here, but ‘parently not there. Actually, I meant to be stoppin’ at a house of someone I knew, not total strangers, which we don’t have down thisaway.

Does yore porch have snow on it ‘bout now?

We have a little but they're predicting 10-18 in maybe up to 2 feet so by the time you get here it will be looking like a winter wonderland.

Ya, you guys are sposed to get slammed!! It is gonna stay south of us as it looks right now. maybe 2 or so inches for us.[/quote]

Started snowing here on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. Temp 28. Latest news says 12-20''
That will be a record for a Dec snow. Old record was 12''

People around here go CRAZY with any thing over 6''.
Let the FUN begin.

I know what you mean about people goin crazy Wrench. People here (slightly east of ya) do the same thing. Glad I don't have to be on the roads tomorrow.

You are getting slammed by snow, we're getting frozen by a high pressure.
Got up to a -4 °F today.
Snow will make everything look nice, well all but the roads.
Stay home with a good fire burning & let it snow.

Oh, man. We are insulated and snug in our igloo this morning and hope to stay that way if the roof does not cave. Seriously. Snow is predicted all day today, also. Indeed, we are snowbound and the power has blinked on and off numerous times since last night. If there were little children around here, they would not be allowed out to play because how could I even find them.....

I have a holtzhausen bee hive tarped just outside the kitchen door if I can find it. My 87 yr. old mother called it an "eyesore" all summer. She won't be complaining today (will you, Ma??).

No question our power will be going out....when I stick my head outside the door it sounds like we are inside of a microwave popcorn bag...branches just snap, crackle, popping all over the woods.

There is enough wood inside the house until tomorrow and plenty of cans to open. Oh, and did I mention we are comfy, cozy warm and can see our way to the bathroom by the fire light???

Lanning said:
Doesn't the Mid Atlantic get snow storms like this yearly?

Every 2-3 years or so down here. Just rare enough for folks to forget in between.

Status
Not open for further replies.