Winter storm is-a-comin'

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You people are really getting clobbered! We get storms like yours in Wisconsin every now and then. We had 8-12" last week or so and then the cold hit and the snowbanks turned into cement blocks! Since hubby got sick in 2006 it has been my job to plow our driveway with our riding mower/plow. Keeping the driveway clear was mandatory as hubby was living with an artificial heart while on the heart transplant list. We never knew if his artificial heart would fail at the wrong time or if the hospital would call saying they had a heart for hubby so my major job in the winter was to keep the driveway clear in case hubby had a problem or if we got "The Call" and had to get to the hospital in a hurry.

Stay safe everyone! If you end up shoveling make sure you take it easy and take plenty of breaks. No need to have anyone fall over with a heart attack!

Shari

keydiver said:
Now just imagine this going on for a week straight! Then you have an idea of what some of us deal with time to time all winter long!

Whole different ball game if you live in an area where it's expected, not unusal, and the community's prepared to deal with it. That's not the case everywhere, by a long shot. Rick

keydiver said:
Now just imagine this going on for a week straight! Then you have an idea of what some of us deal with time to time all winter long!

I already knew. That is why I don't live in places where that happens. I won't even try to figure out why your ISP is in Sacramento, California.

BrotherBart said:
The outdoor cat is in the basement and totally pissed off when I open the door and she goes to run out and runs into a two foot wall of snow. I just started her a fire in her own personal Jotul F3CB.

Sounds like you now officially have a cat stove. :lol:

BrotherBart said:
keydiver said:

I already knew. That is why I don't live in places where that happens. I won't even try to figure out why your ISP is in Sacramento, California.

He might be up in the Sierras to the east of SACTO. I've been up there in the winter many times when I was younger. Many many feet of snow routinely. They're used to dealing with it. Rick

Well, the stuff is moving out of here within the hour. Headed to you folks north of us. Stay safe and warm. I have been about as entertained by this storm as I care to be.

fossil said:
He might be up in the Sierras to the east of SACTO. I've been up there in the winter many times when I was younger. Many many feet of snow routinely. They're used to dealing with it. Rick

I understand. But lecturing me on snow storms without having a location in his profile irritates me. :lol:

BrotherBart said:
fossil said:

I understand. But lecturing me on snow storms without having a location in his profile irritates me. :lol:

Everything irritates you, ya cranky ol' bastage. :kiss: Rick

fossil said:
BrotherBart said:
fossil said:

Everything irritates you, ya cranky ol' bastage. :kiss: Rick

But that's why we love him, Rick :coolsmirk:

fossil said:
Everything[/i] irritates you, ya cranky ol' bastage. :kiss: Rick

Want me to post links to a few of your posts? :lol:

BrotherBart said:
fossil said:

BWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

In Maryland, we up to 21" and counting. Broke down and bought a snow blower this morning. So the 500' of driveway was cleared earlier and should only have a few inches on it tomorrow. But we have a mile of back streets to the main road. Stove has been going for three or four days, mid 70s inside, low 20s outside. Warm enough to make cold brewskis taste great. I have a 12 pack of Dundee and just had a Pale Ale.

BrotherBart said:
fossil said:

Nah...I'm sure if I read 'em I'd just get irritated all over again. %-P Rick

fossil said:
BrotherBart said:
fossil said:

Nah...I'm sure if I read 'em I'd just get irritated all over again. %-P Rick

Oh you guys are soooo cute! This is like the movie Grumpy Old Men, but actually fun to watch.

I think anyone here that can do all the work involved with wood, can easily do all the work involved with heavy snow WITH the right equipment. I mean cmon man! Give me a top of the line snow blower, some chains on my tires and a case of beer. It could snow a couple feet a week and I would be fine. Hell even if I am full of crap and still can't make it, I'll be too drunk to care.

About 14 inches of snow here. Been stuck about 5/6 times in the driveway. Got a shovel, some twigs from a tree and baby I am right on OUT with rear wheel drive! I helped 3 other cars get unstuck. One fellow from New York. How the hell he can't get himself unstuck and he is from New York and I am from Florida. SHOOT!

Corriewf said:
I think anyone here that can do all the work involved with wood, can easily do all the work involved with heavy snow WITH the right equipment. I mean cmon man! Give me a top of the line snow blower, some chains on my tires and a case of beer. It could snow a couple feet a week and I would be fine. Hell even if I am full of crap and still can't make it, I'll be too drunk to care.

Like your Mom said. Some day...

Like your liver is saying. Some day...

And the Grumpy Old Men ended up with Sophia Loren and Ann Margret. I am holding out hope.

And I ain't ever gonna own a stinkin snow blower. The dumbest toy I have ever seen.

BrotherBart said:
Corriewf said:

Like your Mom said. Some day...

Like your liver is saying. Some day...

And the Grumpy Old Men ended up with Sophia Loren and Ann Margret. I am holding out hope.

And I ain't ever gonna own a stinkin snow blower. The dumbest toy I have ever seen.

Ahaha! Man you are the best and you know it! Ahaha! I don't think I would ever see a return in my investment on a snow blower. I have had no problems getting stuck and unstuck down the driveway......till tonight. I screwed up and was joy riding too long. I forgot about that inch layer at the bottom that would freeze. Drive way is up hill all the way. I tried to keep momentum going up but slid backwards into a tree. I eventually got it dug out but it took a lot longer than it should have or would have earlier. No more trips that involve coming home too late for the next few days. My wife and son enjoyed watching the snow hit me in the face as I pushed the wagon up the drive way.

BrotherBart said:
Corriewf said:

I not afraid of hard work either. My splitter is a 8 lb triagular block of steel welded to a pipe. But with 500 feet of driveway and a serious hill that is great for sledding on, the right snow blower can make quick work of what could take several guys all day (we have 21" today).

Yeah, I threw the chains on my rear wheel van and got it up the hill with about 6" of snow on it this morning. But we got other drivers who aren't so adventurous as us. So the snow has got to go off the driveway.

Green Energy said:
BrotherBart said:
Corriewf said:

I not afraid of hard work either. My splitter is a 8 lb triagular block of steel welded to a pipe. But with 500 feet of driveway and a serious hill that is great for sledding on, the right snow blower can make quick work of what could take several guys all day (we have 21" today).

Yeah, I threw the chains on my rear wheel van and got it up the hill with about 6" of snow on it this morning. But we got other drivers who aren't so adventurous as us. So the snow has got to go off the driveway.

Who would blame you. And no, I wouldn't call going out clearing 500 feet of driveway even with a snow blower fun. If I lived in Maryland, it might be worth it for me.

Heck, I probably still should get one if it wasn't for me being a sorry cheap sob.

We're at about 3" here. Winds are screaming and I'm trying to figure if I am going to load the stove and go from there or burn it and build another in a few hours. The second will suck for sleep, but we will have warm heat through the night.
Chad

chad3 said:
...we will have warm heat through the night. Chad

Oh man...that's the best kind! :) Rick

The snow has finally reached the Catskill Mountains of NYS, two hours north of NYC.
Bring it on!

woodjack said:
The snow has finally reached the Catskill Mountains of NYS, two hours north of NYC.
Bring it on!

Good luck man! I think I will have to give up getting back out of my driveway for a while. What are they calling for there?

After what it left here there can't be much left you peeps up north. :eek:hh:

We ended up at 20+ here(last i checked it was 18 but several hours more snow fell). I look forward to the big ones but I must say I am un-impressed with this one. In 1996 there was not that
much more snow but we had like 60 MPH winds with it, drifts were HUGE. This storm IS drifting but not as bad. In 96 it took me 3 days to bucket out my inlaws drive with the tractor, it's almost
a mile long and has a tall bank on one side and was drifted level across the road, prolly 8 feet or more.

Anyway it's all over here but the shoveling( and cussing i suppose)

Kris

Corriewf said:
woodjack said:
Bring it on!

Good luck man! I think I will have to give up getting back out of my driveway for a while. What are they calling for there?

They're saying less than a foot, nothing like what you guys got.

You guys make me so jealous stuck here in Stratford England, I thought we were doing well with about 2 inches if snow and -3f but with your "dumps" and tempratures it takes the shine of ours..........Jotul is burning 24/7 and I have the Xmas booze stacked up and the dog has had enough of his walk and is off back to his place in front of the jotul.

005691_5ec056b4.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.