Winter time wood transport

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muncybob

Minister of Fire
Apr 8, 2008
Near Williamsport, PA
Our wood piles are apprx. 30 yards or so from the basement that the wood will be delivered to. I'm contemplating an easy and inexpensive way to move a week's worth of wood each week-end from the piles to the basement with heavy snow cover on the ground. We have an old small plastic sled that I thought about pulling with a rope but it won't hold much wood...what have others used in similar situations?

Lawn cart and wheelbarrow works for me, it might take a few trips,but if you have help it will go pretty fast.

Shipper

OPPS didn't read the part about the HEAVY snow. Maybe a sled?

Shipper50 said:
Lawn cart and wheelbarrow works for me, it might take a few trips,but if you have help it will go pretty fast.

Shipper

OPPS didn't read the part about the HEAVY snow. Maybe a sled?
yep it doent last that long around here couple ft. of snow would be bad news for me!

I'm in the process of building two more cribs from those brackets you can get at the hardware/big box stores. You just need to buy the 2x4's. I have two cribs now; both 6' long. One has 3' ends, the other 4' ends. I'm going to build two more. One 8' long with 4' sides. The other will be 6' or 8' with 4' ends. all for of these will be residing under our deck. There's just too much snow in VT to use the wheelbarrow during the winter months.

Don't know about your specific situation, but one thing to consider - would it be possible to move more wood in between snows? I try to keep ~ 1 month worth stacked outside the door. We (usually) wouldn't have a snow last a month around here, so I can dash out between snows (hopefully on a nice day) and restock.

Beyond that, for heavy snow, I would think a sled and snow shoes would be the ticket - otherwise plow a path to the wood and use conventional wheeled transport.

We have an old wooden sled kind of like an old runner sled except it has wide wooden runners, sides and a long handle on it. Works great but is probably 70 years old...

This:

Attachments

• jeep_sm2.jpg
    jeep_sm2.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 737
Skier 76...got a pic of what you are building?

Some winters we get by with very little snow...but all indications from mother nature are we are about to pay the price this winter. I plan to bring wood to the doors between snow falls that should last several weeks....and that's fine if between storms the wood piles are easy to get to, but we have had several winters when it's been 1 storm right after another and very little melted. I wish my tractor had higher clearance for then it would not be an issue!

Some sort of sled is what I envision....should be fun riding on top of 1/5 cord of wood downhill to the basement!

I find clearing a path every time it snows works best. I just use a wheelbarrow and bring it about 40 yards to the front porch every weekend. It helps that I have a snowblower though.

muncybob said:
Our wood piles are apprx. 30 yards or so from the basement that the wood will be delivered to. I'm contemplating an easy and inexpensive way to move a week's worth of wood each week-end from the piles to the basement with heavy snow cover on the ground. We have an old small plastic sled that I thought about pulling with a rope but it won't hold much wood...what have others used in similar situations?

A shovel and a wheelbarrow.

A pro model traditional wheel barrow would be my recommendation. Got one in 74 and am still using it...the one wheel bounces up low steps, rocks etc.

Skier76, What's the price on that deal with the brackets? I have an idea for a homemade one but need to know if it's worth the $ for the materials... If so, I'll post separately if it works...

I've got an old house with an old woodshed on the back.
The shed is full of stuff so the wood is piled outside the door.

stejus said:
I find clearing a path every time it snows works best. I just use a wheelbarrow and bring it about 40 yards to the front porch every weekend. It helps that I have a snowblower though.

I agree with the clearing a path after each snow. I used the snowblower wheelbarrow combo too for years until the wifw said go get that Kubota you have been talking about for the last 2 years :)

peterc38 said:
I agree with the clearing a path after each snow. I used the snowblower wheelbarrow combo too for years until the wifw said go get that Kubota you have been talking about for the last 2 years :)

Now that my friend is doing it in style. My wife won't give in a yard toys 'cause she let me get a road toy :)

I use a snowblower to clear the path, and an HF wood cart with bicycle style wheels. The HF cart carries about 2-2.5 days worth of wood, about 150lbs worth. It will go over 2-3" of snow with no problem, but much more than that and the wheels start to bog a bit and the bottom of the cart starts to drag. Of course the big challenge is getting it up the steps (five from the garage to the laundry room, 3 more from the laundry room to the living room and stove) - the bicycle tires make it possible, but it's still a real bear.

Gooserider

muncybob said:

replace wheelbarrow tire with snowboard. Can be done cheap, use a 4x4 between the board & axle. Just nail/screw the board to the 4x4. Drill hole for axle.

Jags- love the FC.

bsimon said:
muncybob said:

replace wheelbarrow tire with snowboard. Can be done cheap, use a 4x4 between the board & axle. Just nail/screw the board to the 4x4. Drill hole for axle.

Jags- love the FC.

.........hmmm, this is interesting since I have some left over 4X4's from the deck we built this summer. May give it a shot since cheap appeals to me and I have an extra wheelbarrow.

muncybob said:
bsimon said:
muncybob said:

Jags- love the FC.

.........hmmm, this is interesting since I have some left over 4X4's from the deck we built this summer. May give it a shot since cheap appeals to me and I have an extra wheelbarrow.

hmmm, sounds like it would work on snow, but what happens when you get to pavement or a basement floor? I go from a snow covered lawn to pavement, over a brick walkway and up a step to get to the covered porch. Too bad small wheels couldn't pop out of the ski!

moosetrek said:
Skier76, What's the price on that deal with the brackets? I have an idea for a homemade one but need to know if it's worth the $ for the materials... If so, I'll post separately if it works...

About $20 for each set of brackets. One set of 4 brackets allows you to make one wood holder. Plus the cost of the 2x4's, but that's really not that bad.

bsimon said:
Jags- love the FC.

I'm impressed that anyone knows what the heck that ugly little beast is. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.