Winter Warmth Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw these pellets in Mechanicsburg, PA Home Depot this past weekend for $199 per ton....To bad I live in NY..It was 102 degrees that day..how ironic!

Bill Bennion said:
Winter Warmth Pellets at Home Depot $209/ton

Which HD? Rochester or Newington?

I was looking for these last season, but they never showed up around here.....Like imacman mentioned, last year word on the street was that they were made by hammer's and had good reviews. If they are still, I would definately try them out.

edit:

just found this from a July 2010 post:

http://www.woodpelletreviews.com/Reviews/Pellets/Winter-Warmth-Wood-Pellet-for-Home-Depot.html

Make sure that the bags and complete pallets look in good condition. Last year, the HD pellets is saw were beat to hell

gbreda said:
.......Make sure that the bags and complete pallets look in good condition. Last year, the HD pellets is saw were beat to hell

If these were in-the-store floor display bags, then you know that they have been (mis)handled at least once by unknowing/uncaring store help. If I was buying from a place like HD or Lowes, I'd be buying a complete UNWRAPPED factory pallet ONLY!

imacman said:
gbreda said:
.......Make sure that the bags and complete pallets look in good condition. Last year, the HD pellets is saw were beat to hell

If these were in-the-store floor display bags, then you know that they have been (mis)handled at least once by unknowing/uncaring store help. If I was buying from a place like HD or Lowes, I'd be buying a complete UNWRAPPED factory pallet ONLY!

True.....but still need to try a bag or 2 first before commiting to a pallet

gbreda said:
True.....but still need to try a bag or 2 first before commiting to a pallet

Absolutely, but tough to really know how they burn this time of year....LOL.

imacman said:
Absolutely, but tough to really how they burn this time of year....LOL.

awww, c'mon. What's another 20 degrees on top of this summer heat........ :cheese:

That's also why I am only buying the "safer" and previously consistent brands in pallets right now. But I wouldnt pass up a bag or 2 to try out in Sept/October.........

It's 90F here and my pellet stove is on my front porch and the closest pellets are in a bag outside of my garage... these things work great in July!!!

they had them in enfield ct home depot also . not sure on the price though

gbreda said:
Bill Bennion said:
Winter Warmth Pellets at Home Depot $209/ton

Rochester

I was looking for these last season, but they never showed up around here.....Like imacman mentioned, last year word on the street was that they were made by hammer's and had good reviews. If they are still, I would definately try them out.

edit:

just found this from a July 2010 post:

http://www.woodpelletreviews.com/Reviews/Pellets/Winter-Warmth-Wood-Pellet-for-Home-Depot.html

Make sure that the bags and complete pallets look in good condition. Last year, the HD pellets is saw were beat to hell

Bill Bennion said:
Rochester
[/quote]

Thanks Bill, I drive by that one daily. Might stop in tonight to check em out.

The store also told me they have Fireside Pellets, I was told these were made by Energex. Does anyone have any info on these?

Bill Bennion said:
The store also told me they have Fireside Pellets, I was told these were made by Energex. Does anyone have any info on these?

Yes Fireside Ultra's are bagged by Energex. They are the same as Energex American with the Eagle on the bag. Not the cleanest burning pellet on the market and would be better suited for your PB 105 than the Accentra insert. I prefer the Energex Canadian bagged pellets, They seem to be using better fiber than the USA plants.

They are nowhere near the quality of the LG's(saw that in your signature) you have. The Winter Warms would be a better choice IMHO.

I had a thread on rebagged pellet's. Check here:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/51230/

OK, stopped by HD in Rochester to check the Winter Warmth pellets. They had 2 pallets freshly opened and appear to not be handled. One bag had a small hole in it (NO, not me :cheese: ) and the pellets looked on the medium color side and seem to be about .5-1 inch...not bad at all.

Tracked down someone who checked to see who made em. The store price sign (5.34/bag) said Catamount Fuel Co. I did not see any Firesides around. Does Catamount make Energex, if so the sign may have referred to the Firesides (no one at HD can answer whether the sign was specific to Winter Warmth).

Hey Pete, the Winter Warmth bag does say Bagged Specifically for Home Depot, so it may be a yearly bid process. Wish I knew.

Ah, the Big Box Blues

gbreda said:
OK, stopped by HD in Rochester to check the Winter Warmth pellets. They had 2 pallets freshly opened and appear to not be handled. One bag had a small hole in it (NO, not me :cheese: ) and the pellets looked on the medium color side and seem to be about .5-1 inch...not bad at all.

Tracked down someone who checked to see who made em. The store price sign (5.34/bag) said Catamount Fuel Co. I did not see any Firesides around. Does Catamount make Energex, if so the sign may have referred to the Firesides (no one at HD can answer whether the sign was specific to Winter Warmth).

Hey Pete, the Winter Warmth bag does say Bagged Specifically for Home Depot, so it may be a yearly bid process. Wish I knew.

Ah, the Big Box Blues

Checking this list Catamount is on it. I don't believe they make or Have anything to do with Energex. This could be a regional thing. Pellets bagged for HD at different plants depending on region?? IDK just a guess anyway.

http://woodandcoal.com/pelletfuelusa.htm

G, Keep us posted once(hopefully not anytime real soon :lol:) you burn them. My HD local has nada yet.

smilejamaica said:
they had them in enfield ct home depot also . not sure on the price though
Thanks smile i gotta check that out!!, i live in 'Locks, too bad TS didnt sell them i'd be there right now, before the coupon expired.

j-takeman said:
G, Keep us posted once(hopefully not anytime real soon :lol:) you burn them. My HD local has nada yet.

Yeah, I am going to pick up a few bags to test burn come fall. 209/ton is by far the cheapest I have seen in this area.
Would be nice to know how they burn, but definately not yet :)

j-takeman said:
Checking this list Catamount is on it. I don't believe they make or Have anything to do with Energex.

I thought I saw something when I googled Catamount, but now I cant find it.

I got my pellets delivered today 4 tons of Winters Warmth and 1 ton of Fireside ultra. The Fireside Ultras has a sticker on the pallet cover that says it is a product of Canada, does that mean they are the better Energex pellets? I am working on my pellet pig status, that gives me about 7tons total right now. If I get my pellet silo ready this year I may get a bulk delivery if the price is right.

Went to my local HD, $269!,for Winters Warmth that are outside covered with 6" of water!, NO THANKS!
You guys sure $209 wasn't $269?
TSC has Canadian made Fireside's for $199 almost across the street...whats HD thinking?
Are these Fireside's made in Canada same as Energex Cananda?

Need to know cause i'll buy a ton for the shoulder seasons
Jake let me know.

Pellet-King said:
Went to my local HD, $269!,for Winters Warmth that are outside covered with 6" of water!, NO THANKS!
TSC has Canadian made Fireside's for $199 almost across the street...whats HD thinking?

Jay let me know.

There are 2 versions of Energex Canadian. The Hardwood blend(mostly Oak) and Softwood blend which come in the green bags. I would say these most likely are the hardwood blend. But when the bag states wood pellet fuel and no given species, One can never tell.

I can add that I have burned Fireside Ultra's from the US Energex plant. Nature's own, Premier hardwood(sold at TSC) and the green bagged softwood blend from Energex Canada. The Canadian versions seem to be a much better overall pellet.

Pellet-King said:

Jake let me know.

HD in Roch had the sign out front for 209.00/ton and individual 40lb bagas at 5.34 (I think) which is 267. Dont know how long that will last.
Bill, were the delivered tons at 209?

Alot of places store the pallets outside. I can identify with the skepticism on that......but if the pallets are double bagged and stretch wrapped, they should be OK. Usually the big box stores are not stretch wrapped or double bagged. Overall they should be OK. Good idea to check them after delivery.

Status
Not open for further replies.