Winter weight bar and chain oil?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow... only $38 for four gallons? I think the Stihl stuff goes for $19/gallon at our local Ace.

I had noticed myself ripping thru WAY more gas than usual in the 064 this weekend. I thought it was my imagination, but perhaps it was the standard bar oil I was running. I topped off with winter grade when I filled my gas tank, noticing the saw had not used it's usual amount of bar oil on the prior tank of gas.

I guess I oughta stop complaining about it being over ten bucks a gallon at the local places;em

In cold temps I have been using an old gear lube squeeze type bottle to fill the bar oil.

well in warm temps too.

of course filled with bar lube.::P

"old gear lube squeeze type bottle " THANKS for the tip. This hit me like a smack on the noggin. Here I have been pouring from the gallon jug opening cautious not to over fill the chain oil resevoir, and pitching those old gear lube jugs. Duh.

Reactions: pen
Better yet, find a gear lube jug with the same mouth as your bar oil jug, and just steal the nipple. I prefer to keep chemicals and oils in their properly-labeled jugs... avoids confusion.

Better yet, find a gear lube jug with the same mouth as your bar oil jug, and just steal the nipple. I prefer to keep chemicals and oils in their properly-labeled jugs... avoids confusion.

Oh yes. This would be the answer. Gear lube squirt cap on a quart oil jug clearly labelled as bar oil. I like it. Thank you.

I use the same bar oil year round. Never saw "winter oil" The temps can vary wildy here in Colorado so I carry kerosene. If the oil is not spitting off the tip, I add kero. Also remove the bar to ensure it is clear. Carefully measuring the kero of course by eyeball (wink). Recently I started cutting at 50 degrees and soon we ratcheted down to below 20. But even at 50, the environment on the chain is not the outside temp, but rather the environment of the bar. I was cutting logs that were near zero overnight and were still frozen.

I just bought the winter weight at tsc. Never noticed it there before. I wonder if they put it on clearance in the spring? They had a ton left.

I just bought the winter weight at tsc. Never noticed it there before. I wonder if they put it on clearance in the spring? They had a ton left.

Last week, I also saw that winter weight oil at my TSC for the first time ever. If I recall correctly, it was a brand I had never seen before. Also, TSC now has their own "Tractor Supply" brand of chains and chainsaw accessories--China stuff

Oh yes. This would be the answer. Gear lube squirt cap on a quart oil jug clearly labelled as bar oil. I like it. Thank you.

I do have some quart oil bottles with gear lube tops on them, and while not a perfect fit, they always stay on. I've had better luck with the old "sport" type water bottle tops, which you pull up to squirt and push down to seal, as these used to be EXACTLY the same thread as a quart of oil. I always used them on my bottles of ATF, to fill transfer cases using such.

Status
Not open for further replies.