Winter Wood Cutting Adventures

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jwoair23

Feeling the Heat
Oct 2, 2011
Ohio
Been awhile since I posted anything to the wood shed, so I figured I would post an update as to what I've been up to this winter! Still have the good luck of going to the farm that was logged and the tops left, I probably have retrieved about 15 loads since the beginning of last summer. The trail is pretty muddy at the moment, so I have also gotten the chance to do some of the most serious 4x4'ing so far. I have Goodyear Duratrac tires on the truck, and wow, they did fantastic, never lost grip once despite feeling the whole truck moving sideways slightly it was so muddy. The trail leads up past the barn, and gets very muddy in the field before the barn.

Anyways, between the rounds on the wood rack and the rounds stacked up by the woodpile, that is 5 trips, about 40% cherry and 60% oak. Probably going to pause on the cutting and start doing some splitting now.

Lots of pics, just for fun. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0567.jpg
    IMG_0567.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_0571.jpg
    IMG_0571.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_0574.jpg
    IMG_0574.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_0576.jpg
    IMG_0576.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_0578.jpg
    IMG_0578.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_0584.jpg
    IMG_0584.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_0586.jpg
    IMG_0586.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_0587.jpg
    IMG_0587.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 196
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 177
:cool:

Nice restocking effort going on. Good looking stack there.

Nice restocking effort going on. Good looking stack there.

Thanks, that stack is three rows deep, I think it's about four cords if I remember right. That's about 80% of next winters wood!

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Been awhile since I posted anything to the wood shed, so I figured I would post an update as to what I've been up to this winter! Still have the good luck of going to the farm that was logged and the tops left, I probably have retrieved about 15 loads since the beginning of last summer. The trail is pretty muddy at the moment, so I have also gotten the chance to do some of the most serious 4x4'ing so far. I have Goodyear Duratrac tires on the truck, and wow, they did fantastic, never lost grip once despite feeling the whole truck moving sideways slightly it was so muddy. The trail leads up past the barn, and gets very muddy in the field before the barn.

Anyways, between the rounds on the wood rack and the rounds stacked up by the woodpile, that is 5 trips, about 40% cherry and 60% oak. Probably going to pause on the cutting and start doing some splitting now.

Lots of pics, just for fun. :)
Nice work jwoair23, you have some nice firewood lined up.

Very good jwoair. Been wondering what you've been up to. Glad to see you post here again.

Nice haul. I like to see one of those fancy new trucks with some dirt on the tires!

I occasionally see pics on this forum of huge rounds stacked. Do you split them at some point or do you burn them that size? I would think it would take forever to season rounds that big.

I occasionally see pics on this forum of huge rounds stacked. Do you split them at some point or do you burn them that size? I would think it would take forever to season rounds that big.

I have just been trying to get as much wood from this location as I can before others get it! So the past 2-3 weeks I have just been cutting, I will have it all split hopefully in the next few weeks. I split it down to the size you see stacked behind the rounds.

Reactions: westkywood
Status
Not open for further replies.