Winter's Work is piling up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tfdchief

Minister of Fire
Nov 24, 2009
Tuscola, IL
myplace.frontier.com
While I took a break and watched my son, I decided to take a picture of our winter's work. This is my half, we haven't even started splitting his pile. The pile is anywhere from 5 to 8 feet deep behind him, so it is even bigger than it looks. Not really looking forward to sacking it though :ahhh:

Attachments

• Splitting edit.jpg
    Splitting edit.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 772
Looks like perfect splitting weather and a nice way to spend the day. Good company makes stacking a lot more enjoyable.

I wish I had a pile that size......

Shawn

I wish my wood wasn't covered in 3 feet of snow so I could do something with it :coolgrin: Ready for spring and anxious to get into the wood.

Believe it or not, a week ago all my wood was covered with snow and ice. Last week we had 50 and 60 °F temps all week and melted it all! It's raining now so we won't be finishing today.

I was looking at the radar chief. Looks like you may get all rain from this one. There is another one going through on Monday that you may get more from too. Here they say 6-9" snow. Hopefully we won't get the rain or ice. Now if we could just get you to using that splitter right..... Vertical is the way to go!

Backwoods Savage said:
I was looking at the radar chief. Looks like you may get all rain from this one. There is another one going through on Monday that you may get more from too. Here they say 6-9" snow. Hopefully we won't get the rain or ice. Now if we could just get you to using that splitter right..... Vertical is the way to go!
You are right Dennis, 3/10s so far. 36 °F last night for the low and holding pretty steady. I really didn't want the rain but it is cleaning things up a little and let Doug and I get at the splitting pile for a while yesterday. And you probably will convert me some day.... ;-P ....the old back can't hardly take it anymore. My splitter is the nicest one I have ever used horizontal though. It is just the right height so you can stand up straight without having to bend over......I know, doesn't matter, still doing it wrong :)

I owned a Speeco 20 ton H/V with 8HP Tecumseh bought new in April 96 until Dec 2005.Always used it vertical,thats why I chose one so didnt have to lift 150+lb logs up on that beam.Didnt use it as much the last 2 years,needed extra cash during a work slowdown around Christmas so I sold it.Sure wish I still had it now.Some real tough or gnarly rounds I toss in a pile & cut a kerf in end grain to give sledge/wedges or maul a boost.I think age & past abuse is finally catching up to my back & shoulders.

Thistle said:
I owned a Speeco 20 ton H/V with 8HP Tecumseh bought new in April 96 until Dec 2005.Always used it vertical,thats why I chose one so didnt have to lift 150+lb logs up on that beam.Didnt use it as much the last 2 years,needed extra cash during a work slowdown around Christmas so I sold it.Sure wish I still had it now.Some real tough or gnarly rounds I toss in a pile & cut a kerf in end grain to give sledge/wedges or maul a boost.I think age & past abuse is finally catching up to my back & shoulders.
Thistle, I know what you mean. I split everything by hand for 35 years, but had to buy that log splitter about 3 years ago. Just can't do it anymore. Hope you get your log splitter back.

tfdchief said:
Thistle, I know what you mean. I split everything by hand for 35 years, but had to buy that log splitter about 3 years ago. Just can't do it anymore. Hope you get your log splitter back.

Nothing to be ashamed of w/ that many years of service in.

I have a pile of wood outback that is mostly on the ground through the efforts of mother nature and some cows out of their pasture and am considering trying to build a holz hausen out of them this spring. I figure if I have to restack, stacked wood, I might as well at least try and do it differently to keep things interesting.

pen

I have a pile of wood outback that is mostly on the ground through the efforts of mother nature and some cows out of their pasture and am considering trying to build a holz hausen out of them this spring. I figure if I have to restack, stacked wood, I might as well at least try and do it differently to keep things interesting.

pen
pen, take pictures when you are done, I love wood piles, By the way, did you see my post on the kitchen stove? It's home. :) https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/64965/P22/#826244

tfdchief said:
While I took a break and watched my son, I decided to take a picture of our winter's work. This is my half, we haven't even started splitting his pile. The pile is anywhere from 5 to 8 feet deep behind him, so it is even bigger than it looks. Not really looking forward to sacking it though :ahhh:

tfdchief, looks like you had some nice weather for some splitting. Still looking for that weather this way.

Zap

tfdchief, looks like you had some nice weather for some splitting. Still looking for that weather this way.
Zap
Sure was Zap. A week ago we were frozen in a big heap of snow and ice. The 50s and 60s all week and it all went away!

tfdchief said:
Believe it or not, a week ago all my wood was covered with snow and ice. Last week we had 50 and 60 °F temps all week and melted it all! It's raining now so we won't be finishing today.

Same here in Michigan. Now the path to the wood pile is ice with snow on top then more ice, I have no way to even get the splitter to the wood pile.

Still too much snow for me to think about wood yet . . . which is OK with me . . . still enjoying riding the sled . . . there will be plenty of time when the snow melts in a few weeks to start working on the wood.

firefighterjake said:
Still too much snow for me to think about wood yet . . . which is OK with me . . . still enjoying riding the sled . . . there will be plenty of time when the snow melts in a few weeks to start working on the wood.
FFjake, I had to get it done so I can ride the 4 wheeler when it warms up. :) My grandson is itching to try out his new tires he got for Christmas. I did get one 4 wheeling trip in this winter, to TN. Biggest country and roughest terrain I have ever seen on my 4 wheeler. Found out just what it will do and I was amazed.

tfdchief said:
firefighterjake said:
FFjake, I had to get it done so I can ride the 4 wheeler when it warms up. :) My grandson is itching to try out his new tires he got for Christmas. I did get one 4 wheeling trip in this winter, to TN. Biggest country and roughest terrain I have ever seen on my 4 wheeler. Found out just what it will do and I was amazed.

How many miles? I know Maine is making some pretty big inroads with ATV trails . . . I think at last count there was something like 6,000 miles of ATV trails in Maine.

I tend to try to work on the firewood in the Spring . . . not enough snow for sledding . . . and it's too early to go ATVing since Mud Season typically closes the trails for ATVs until May 15th or so.

How many miles? I know Maine is making some pretty big inroads with ATV trails . . . I think at last count there was something like 6,000 miles of ATV trails in Maine.

I tend to try to work on the firewood in the Spring . . . not enough snow for sledding . . . and it’s too early to go ATVing since Mud Season typically closes the trails for ATVs until May 15th or so.

Brimestone off-road park in Huntsville, TN, 20,000 acres, 70 trails - 300 miles! The place is huge. As I am sure you know, sometimes the trails aren't marked that well and we were lost more than once. Here is their website - http://www.brimstonerecreation.com/index.php
My grandson loves the mud :) , when they will let us on the trails, so he is ready......He is only 7 and is getting a little bored with the wood cutting/splitting operation.

tfdchief said:

I tend to try to work on the firewood in the Spring . . . not enough snow for sledding . . . and it’s too early to go ATVing since Mud Season typically closes the trails for ATVs until May 15th or so.

Brimestone off-road park in Huntsville, TN, 20,000 acres, 70 trails - 300 miles! The place is huge. As I am sure you know, sometimes the trails aren't marked that well and we were lost more than once. Here is their website - http://www.brimstonerecreation.com/index.php
My grandson loves the mud :) , when they will let us on the trails, so he is ready......He is only 7 and is getting a little bored with the wood cutting/splitting operation.

Here's the 2010 map showing the ATV trail system in Maine . . . I'm the President of the Trail Blazers ATV Club based out of Thorndike . . . as you can see it's a relatively small club and trail system . . . hoping to increase our trail system in the near future though.

http://maine.gov/doc/parks/programs/ATV/documents/105264-SOMATVMap.pdf

Here’s the 2010 map showing the ATV trail system in Maine . . . I’m the President of the Trail Blazers ATV Club based out of Thorndike . . . as you can see it’s a relatively small club and trail system . . . hoping to increase our trail system in the near future though.

http://maine.gov/doc/parks/programs/ATV/documents/105264-SOMATVMap.pdf
Pretty cool Jake, I would love to come to your place and ride with you but Maine is pretty far for me. When I retire though, who knows. Brimstone was a 7 hour drive and I let my son talk me into that one. :grrr: Here is a post in the "Wood Shed" of my trip to TN with pics, in case you missed it. https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/67259/

All done splitting at my house. Now to get it all stacked. I am axious to get it stacked to see how much we cut this winter. Actually this is only 1/2 of the winter's work. The other half, at my son's house, is still in a big pile of rounds and has to be split. I am guessing we got about 10 cords, all red and white oak. We will see when it is all stacked.

Attachments

• Wood pile edit 1.jpg
    Wood pile edit 1.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 131
  • Wood pile edit 2.jpg
    Wood pile edit 2.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 106
Nice, sure is alot of heat there. Post pics after stacked.Nothin better than a big pile of splits. ;-)

wingsfan said:
Nice, sure is alot of heat there. Post pics after stacked.Nothin better than a big pile of splits. ;-)
Thanks and I sure will. It may be a while though, new forecast for Thursday - 5 - 7 in of snow. And I am trying to install a new stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.