Winterwarm temp question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RStrickland

Aug 28, 2017
South Carolina
You guys new member here. But I have been reading the forum for quite some time. Thank you for all your input.

I know this is an old thread but I just purchased a used Winterwarm small and replaced gaskets catalyst all thermostats and in maybe having the same problem as mentioned above. When I get the stove fired up I am seeing the same thing as others where the stove shows no flames in the firebox with the cat engaged. But this stove may be designed to operate this way? For what I have read on his form not all cat stoves have any flame at all when in cat mode? I will say this, I loaded the stove last night about 8:00 PM engage the cat and got up this morning at 7 AM and there are still red coals in the bottom! So it appears the stove did it's job all night.

However, I noticed that the primary air control seems to be closed once the stove is hot even with the lever all the way up. I have inspected the thermostat and cable and everything is OK. But I wasn't sure about the calibration or adjustment of the primary air flap however, I noticed that the primary air control seems to be closed once the stove is hot even with the lever all the way up. I have inspected the thermostat and cable and everything is OK. But I wasn't sure about the calibration or adjustment of the primary air flap. I'm wondering about the cable linkage links and at what temperature should the primary air thermostat automatically close the valve?

I have obviously read lots of mixed reviews about the stove. But I'm in South Carolina and don't need much heat but just wanted one for supplemental on cold nights. Has anybody come up with a good way to monitor and keep proper internal temperatures? Since this stove doesn't have a way to monitor "stove top" temps.

Thanks!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
When you engage the cat do you have smoke coming out your chimney? You should near zero smoke coming out the top of the chimney (only heat waves)
It also maybe harder to keep a flames established in the fire box due to draft being poor (warm temps and higher humidity) Also check your fuel, make sure it is at 20% moisture content or less.

When you engage the cat do you have smoke coming out your chimney? You should near zero smoke coming out the top of the chimney (only heat waves)
It also maybe harder to keep a flames established in the fire box due to draft being poor (warm temps and higher humidity) Also check your fuel, make sure it is at 20% moisture content or less.

Thanks Kenny.
Some smoke at first, then it clears up with zero smoke. So I guess it's working. Lol
I guess I just really expected to see flames inside the stove but after reading more on this forum it might not be a pretty fire show while it's pumping out heat. I guess the true test will be burning it when it's cold! :)
And yes. I've been reading lots more on here and understand wood moisture is very important. I'll get another moisture meter.

Thanks a lot!