Wireing a thermostat to control blower and bypass valve

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodturner2

Sep 17, 2008
Upper Peninsala Mi.
Hi,I have a lennox downflo oil furnace. I have just installed a water to air heat exchanger from my outdoor wood boiler under the furnace. I have a Taco 560 3 way bypass valve in the line so i can bypass the heat exchanger and keep heating my DHW. I would like to hook this up so I can use the air exchanger as my main heat source and have oil backup. I have a Honeywell RTH7400 thermostat. Can i use this thermostat or do I need a different one? Can someone tell me how to wire this up?
Thanks, Greg

you want to control your oil or wood interdependently, the easiest way is to use 2 thermostats. here is a simple diagram. you must use a separate 24 volt transformer for zone valves or you will burn them out.

Bob

Attachments

• Publication1.jpg
    Publication1.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 326
I relabeled the drawing, that 120 volt side is an extra transformer you are going to need to buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.