Wireless networking help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

seige101

Minister of Fire
Mar 25, 2008
Western MA
I am trying to figure out how to get internet access out to an outbuilding on the property to connect a security camera DVR, a networked hard drive and possibly a desktop to stream music into the workshop. Neither of the above has wireless capabilities.

I currently have wifi in the house (verizon dsl modem w/ built in router/wifi)

Can i just setup another wireless router to get the signal from the wifi in the house and plug in my devices in the 2nd wireless router in the outbuilding?

I have the wireless network setup in the house fine, but clueless as to what i need to accomplish what i want to in the garage/workshop.

Thanks for the help
Tim

What you need is a wireless bridge, You can't use just any wireless router. Actually you need two devices; one device to act as a wireless client to receive the signal from the primary wireless router in the house, then you connect that (with a wire) to another router or [I think] a basic ethernet switch. I have had good results using a Zoom 4403 in ethernet client mode. The 4403 is a wireless router, but in client mode it's not acting as a router.

Currently have a (verizon) Westell 327 DSL modem/ wifi+4 or 5 port router. It supports 802.11 b/g

An internet friend offered this for the cost of shipping http://www.mondoplast.net/datasheets/NL-3054CB3 Deluxe.html If i am reading that plus all your help correctly i believe this is the necessary piece of hardware for my solution.

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.