Wireless Thermostat for Avalon AGP

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

epb

Oct 23, 2013
NH
Just bought an Astoria AGP stove and had a couple thermostat questions I'm hoping someone can answer. There's some great info in a thread about thermostats for Avalon Astoria and I just want to make sure everything I read there also applies to the AGP. First off, I understand with any pellet stove, I'll want a thermostat with swing controls. Where I'm a little confused is the power requirements for the thermostat. From the Astoria thread, it looks the Astoria doesn't support 24v thermostats and, according to the AGP's manual, it doesn't either:

"DO NOT CONNECT 120 VAC OR 24V TO THE THERMOSTAT CIRCUIT OF THIS HEATER(DO NOT USE A HOUSEHOLD THERMOSTAT USED FOR A WALL-BOARD OR OTHER ELECTRICAL HEATER). USE A LOW VOLTAGE COMPATIBLE THERMOSTAT"

I assume a "low voltage thermostat" means millivolt and that I'd be fine with a Skytech one. I'm just hoping someone could confirm that for me before I go off and order one. Also, anyone have an opinion on the Skytech 3301p2? I like it because it's programmable for weekdays and weekends as opposed to the 3301p that uses the same settings all week long. Can anyone give me a reason not to buy the p2 or to look at other thermostats?

Not true on the 3301p. I can program totally different times and temps for any day of the week or weekend.

Awe, I just looked at the 3301p manual again and looks like I misunderstood how its programming works. You can actually set up individual programs for every day of the week, huh? Pretty cool.

Yep. It works great with these stoves. Does not have a back light but if keep batteries fresh the LCD stays nice and bright. I change batts 1x year in both units with good ones. They are not cheap though, got mine for $95 shipped off ebay about 5 years ago but they are much more than that now.

Got my 3301p about a month ago on Amazon. 150 bucks. It's nice with the 4 settings per day, and you can put it where you want to within 20 feet. Workin great so far.

the 3301P is an excellent stat and as said above its more flexible than you may think. great piece, they have a pretty good tech support as well, ive spoken to them a few times and always got good help for my customers who use them.

nice product, good company to work with

Thanks, everyone. I ended up ordering a 3301p through sears.com for about $128 shipped. Wish I had saw imacman's post first so I could have saved a few bucks, but oh well. Thanks again for all your help.

I'm looking at this 3301 thermostat, is it just a wireless controller? Or is the actual temperature sensor wireless? I want to have the thermostat itself somewhere I can't get a wire to, but that's where I want it to sense the temperature, not just have the controller.

I'm looking at this 3301 thermostat, is it just a wireless controller? Or is the actual temperature sensor wireless? I want to have the thermostat itself somewhere I can't get a wire to, but that's where I want it to sense the temperature, not just have the controller.
Right from the manual taken from their web page.

Due to the sensitive temperature-monitoring
components in the transmitter, it may be necessary to
allow the transmitter to stabilize to room temperature
before accurate room temperatures are displayed on
the screen. If the transmitter is activated from a
severe cold condition, it can take up to fifteen minutes
for accurate temperature readings to appear.

It is a wireless thermostat (no wires between the stat and the pellet stove). The transmitter unit with the LCD read out senses the temperature wherever you put it. It comes with a mounting cradle to mount on the wall. I put it right next to my oil burner stat in a hallway adjacent to the room the PS in so it senses a more average temp in the house. You can also take that hand-held stat and put it anywhere you want. Sometimes we put it out on the kitchen counter where it's cooler so the stove won't shut down.

The receiver unit (small square black box) plugs into the control board with two spade connections (millivolt). On that is an OFF, REMOTE, and ON switch.

hope this helps.

It is a wireless thermostat (no wires between the stat and the pellet stove). The transmitter unit with the LCD read out senses the temperature wherever you put it. It comes with a mounting cradle to mount on the wall. I put it right next to my oil burner stat in a hallway adjacent to the room the PS in so it senses a more average temp in the house. You can also take that hand-held stat and put it anywhere you want. Sometimes we put it out on the kitchen counter where it's cooler so the stove won't shut down.

The receiver unit (small square black box) plugs into the control board with two spade connections (millivolt). On that is an OFF, REMOTE, and ON switch.

hope this helps.

Thanks, got one off eBay for $100. Beats trying to get a wire in my wall

Status
Not open for further replies.