Wiring a DVX-45 Mendota

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bucky

Feb 15, 2008
NY
Another newbie question...(sorry for all these separate posts!)

What gauge wire and what type of wire should I use to provide power for my new DVX-45? The instructions say to provide an uninterupted and unswitched power source (duh), but does not specify what type (Romex? BX?) of wire or what gauge. I have an existing plug (duplex outlet) within the framing of the new fireplace, but my dealer says that the unit must be hardwired. The instructions say that the power must come in from the left, and of course, my existing duplex outlet is to the right. Can I just take out the duplex outlet and splice a "hardwire" right from this box? I have some wiring ability, but am not sure if using Romex, 14 gauge wire is permissible within the confines of the new built-in. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks very much. I'm trying to get all this together before tomorrow's install.

Bucky

This is a gas fireplace I assume? Just wire it into the wiring of the room using whatever gauge the circuit requires. It doesn't specify what type of wire because it doesn't matter, it just needs 110VAC. Use whatever wires are required by your electrical code. If you have an outlet box that will be behind your new fireplace I don't think you can bury the box even if blanked over (by code). Technically you should pull a new wire from the nearest outlet into the fireplace and eliminate that outlet.

I'm no electrical code expert but I know a few things that pertain to what we have to do with fireplaces.

Pyro,

thanks for your fast response.

Yes, it is an LP gas fireplace.

OK, no problem eliminating the outlet witin the framing. I can direct wire to a nearby box outside the fireplace framing. My main concern was that the blower would draw so much power that it would trip a breaker. The fella at Home and Hearth said it wouldn't, but to be honest, he was so quick with alot of his answers that I wasn't sure if he was right, or he was just trying to sell me a fireplace. Seeing your number of posts, I'm comfortable with the validity of your advice. Thank you.

Now if someone would answer my "how far to mount the thermostat" post, I may be ready for tomorrow yet!
thanks again,
Bucky

The blower we use are 1.5 Amps, no problems on a normal 15 amp circuit, unless maybe you have the TV, Computer, Vacuum, Ceiling Fan, fireplace blower... all going at the same time in the same room.

Status
Not open for further replies.