wiring auto controls for wood furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

acman

Apr 1, 2015
martinsburg wv
Well I just finished the wiring for my wood furnace to work automatically with my heat pump blower. Before you ask, no this was not easy, no it is not for every diy. I have 20 yrs of hvac service experience and I still found this to be a little brain struggle. HOW IT OPERATES. Basically when the ( only one ) thermostat calls for heat it will leave duct dampers in normal position, run heat pump(hp) if wood furnace(wf) is below 110. When wf temp is above 110 and it calls for heat, the duct dampers switch position, it will turn on draft inducer and open inducer damper. When wf reaches 145 then the blower comes on until either until wf temp drops below 115 or tstat satisfies. The temps may need some fine tuning, for this reason I chose digital switches with a 0-220 range and 1-30 differential. I had thought about how to wire this for many days. Used another transformer, 4 relays, 2 temp controls. Put it in a relay box. Im still waiting to get friends over to help get wf in cellar, but I tested controls AND IT WORKS! And no im not using a wf blower kit, I never liked the way it controls the house temp.

Welcome. Thanks for posting. I've moved it to the boiler room for better furnace exposure.

It's getting to be off season and this is your first posting, be patient.

Yea not much feedback on here

Not sure what you're looking for? Maybe if you want feedback/critique on what you did, you could post up more info like a schematic & pictures? Or if something's not working, post questions on that? But it didn't read like a post looking for feedback specifically when I read it, more like a statement.

I'm not a furnace person though, and don't have a heat pump - maybe someone will be along with questions for you. And ya, interest goes away a bit at the end of heating season. Especially a long one like this one was (still is..).

Well, I'm interested in that draft inducer and its damper. How does that work? Does the damper block the vent when the wf is cold? I can't see that being safe with wood, so I'm probably not understanding.

I spent weeks trying to figure out my control 'scheme'. It felt great when I finally got it right and it actually worked. I made wiring diagrams, but doing a more complete and updated as-built would probably help when the inevitable troubleshooting comes sometime in the future and I won't know what the heck I was thinking when I put it together.

If/when we install a WF and HP to replace the oil furnace I think we'll be installing 2 thermostats with WF set a couple degrees higher than HP.

Reactions: JustWood
Well, I'm interested in that draft inducer and its damper. How does that work? Does the damper block the vent when the wf is cold? I can't see that being safe with wood, so I'm probably not understanding.

I spent weeks trying to figure out my control 'scheme'. It felt great when I finally got it right and it actually worked. I made wiring diagrams, but doing a more complete and updated as-built would probably help when the inevitable troubleshooting comes sometime in the future and I won't know what the heck I was thinking when I put it together.
Well i have dampers in the air ducts and a damper on the induced draft, so when the draft is not running the damper shuts to let the coals last longer, hopefully. The induced draft runs when a call for heat is energized then the blower comes on at maybe 145 or whatever temp, i havent completed entire install so i havent tested in action. I did test controls and dampers but not with fire just heated sensors.

Well i have dampers in the air ducts and a damper on the induced draft, so when the draft is not running the damper shuts to let the coals last longer, hopefully. The induced draft runs when a call for heat is energized then the blower comes on at maybe 145 or whatever temp, i havent completed entire install so i havent tested in action. I did test controls and dampers but not with fire just heated sensors.
I ve got a feed door intake, ash door intake and draft intake

Status
Not open for further replies.