Wiring for generator use.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bwhunter85

Feeling the Heat
Aug 21, 2010
Sunfield, MI
Instead of installing a transfer switch, I'd like to put a plug on my add-on furnace so when the power goes out, I can just unplug and plug into generator. Has anyone done this? Seems pretty straight forward. Just splice the line, install plugin on one end and plug on the furnace end?

Instead of installing a transfer switch, I'd like to put a plug on my add-on furnace so when the power goes out, I can just unplug and plug into generator. Has anyone done this? Seems pretty straight forward. Just splice the line, install plugin on one end and plug on the furnace end?

IMGP3850.JPG

Generator outside. Its cord goes to outlet # 1. Outlet # 2 is grid power. Cord from # 3 junction box operates boiler blower and storage circulator. Cord from transformer box powers house circulator and zone controls. Very simple and allows no possibility of a back-feed into power grid.

IMGP3848.JPG

I guess they'll work if you're home and awake when the power drops out.

Extension cord is not a problem as long as it's rated for what the circuit is fused for and you use stranded wire extension cord, solid wire will slowly loosen from vibration in the plugs. Can't tell from pic type of wire you have.

Reactions: hobbyheater
Extension cord is not a problem as long as it's rated for what the circuit is fused for and you use stranded wire extension cord, solid wire will slowly loosen from vibration in the plugs. Can't tell from pic type of wire you have.

# 12 industrial 3 wire ( stranded) extension cord.

I guess they'll work if you're home and awake when the power drops out.

That little Honda Generator would not be able to supply the electric boiler ! Over the last 4 years there have only been 2 power outages and each lasted a day , and both times storage happened to be up to temperature so the Honda only had to idle to operate the circulator . One outage was during the Super bowl so the Honda got moved to supply the satellite receiver and the TV!

I put a plug on my loading unit circ line. Plug that into a receptacle. I later added a 2200va ups. The fan on it runs all the time its plugged in so I only use it when I go out in the middle of a burn or threatening weather. Used it just this weekend during Arthur, plugged ups into Genny, then circ into ups. Worked pretty darn good.

BTW, Arthur was the worst storm I have sat thru for a very long time, still areas here with no power.

Status
Not open for further replies.