Wiring Garn Electric Elements

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RowCropRenegade

Feeling the Heat
Mar 19, 2008
Southwest, Ohio
I've looked through all my garn literature and the schematic on the control box for this info.

I purchased the upgraded element kit for my garn. God forbid I ever use it. It comes with the box for the elements, 6 elements, upgraded stem and controler box with wood/electric switch.
The only info in my books, the yellow unpacking/assembly pook in section Q. Electric Elements.

It says I need a 30 amp, 240 vac two pole breaker with a common trip. No problem there. Will run a 10-2 from main box to the element box. It doesn't say or show how to hook them up. Or how that ties in with the controller. The relays are rated but no diagram, no nothing really.

BTW, I have a licensed electrician doing the work and he even didn't understand how it all ties together.

He thinks drilling a hole in the flange would be easiest to ground the garn.

Do a search - I seem to recall seeing something about the electric elements in a Garn not very long ago that went into how they hooked up... I didn't pay a lot of attention, but my recollection is that they had some kind of timer setup that was supposed to use the elements two at a time in rotation, in order to avoid over loading any single element...

I would tend to agree with your electrician, a hole in the flange does sound like the easiest grounding approach.

OTOH, I wouldn't think 10/2 wire would be enough to carry the load described for those elements - I would have figured it more on the order of 6-8g wire, and a 50 amp breaker...

Gooserider

I may be terrible at searching, Gooserider. I haven't found anything on hearth that answers those questions.

The book says it only needs 30 amps. They rotate in series somehow. I'm dissapointed in the literature on this part of the project.

I just did a quick search myself, without finding it... However I did find that Garn has a factory support forum at http://garn.com/forums/default.aspx?GroupID=2 I didn't see anything in the listed threads about the electric hookups, but it would seem like a good place to ask and get an answer straight from the horse (which end of the horse I will let others determine...)

Gooserider

Last I checked, the proprietary GARN electric element controller was still not available. When you order the GARN electric "option", it includes the electric element bungs in the front wall, and that's it. The case is additional, as is the element controller and the dual control float switch. The standard fan controller has the "electric/wood" switch installed, whether or not you order the electric option or the accessories. Check with your dealer. He may not be aware that the relay controller is a seperate line item.

Watts=Volts x Amps. A single 4500 watt, 220V element will draw qa little over 20 amps. A 5500 watt element will draw over 35 amps. That is why running three elements concurrently requires a big supply. You will need 100 Amps worth of service just for the electric element array. For a single element a two pole 30A breaker is fine. I wired mine with a surface temp controller for a WH, and set the temp to minimum (I think it goes down to 90F).

I asked a question on the same subject.

Maximum number of element is 9 but only 3 can be used at any one time, the controller switches between them. I guess with 6 it would be 2 at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.