Wiring the insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
My fireplace enclosure has ash damp door in a back of it . it leads to the basement . I'm thinking about running extension cord trough it and connecting the insert this way . It's gonna make a big difference aesthetically . I would wrap it up in foil chimney insulation to prevent over heating . Do you think it's safe to do , anybody done it?

We did it with ours but not with an extension cord. Had an electrician use the hardwire kit (heat approved) into a junction box. Had to chisel out a little of the masonry to make a groove for the wiring to run in so it would be flush under the insert.

I would not use an extension cord.

My fireplace enclosure has ash damp door in a back of it . it leads to the basement . I'm thinking about running extension cord trough it and connecting the insert this way . It's gonna make a big difference aesthetically . I would wrap it up in foil chimney insulation to prevent over heating . Do you think it's safe to do , anybody done it?
Too funny that three of us newbies, with the same insert, keep responding! Again, mine was done just like CT. The wire runs under the insert base and down the ash dump toward the basement.

It ought never see heat, but I'd hate to gamble!

I'm confident someone on the site will give you a skilled answer within the hour.

Can you buy this heat approved hardwire kit at HD ? I doubt it . Do you know what kind of wires were used ?

Maybe it was an extra $50. But it is all set up with the connectors you need.

Also, to meet code you can't have a plug that is in a different room from the appliance. So if you run the wires down the ashtrap you need to have an electrician do a hardwire connection. My guy did it for about $100. Took him about an hour or two. In the grand scheme of things it was minimal cost...

Maybe it was an extra $50. But it is all set up with the connectors you need.

Also, to meet code you can't have a plug that is in a different room from the appliance. So if you run the wires down the ashtrap you need to have an electrician do a hardwire connection. My guy did it for about $100. Took him about an hour or two. In the grand scheme of things it was minimal cost...
My installers wired it to a storage area in the basement - with no comment about being out of code. Tisk, tisk.

I'm gonna ask my dealer about hardwire kit, the install should be pretty straightforward since there is left or right wiring option mentioned in manual.
Did any of you guys insulated the inside of the firebox? I stuffed some roxull at the place where chimney begins and at the top of the chimney to prevent heat loss according to manual.

It's unrelated question to wiring, just curious to see if your installers did it with particular insert. Didn't want to start whole new tread.

I'm gonna ask my dealer about hardwire kit, the install should be pretty straightforward since there is left or right wiring option mentioned in manual.
Did any of you guys insulated the inside of the firebox? I stuffed some roxull at the place where chimney begins and at the top of the chimney to prevent heat loss according to manual.
No, I did not.

Status
Not open for further replies.