Wiring Thermostat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pez3078

Dec 15, 2014
Ohio
Okay i bought the 5502m Pellet Stove a few weeks ago instulled it and love it, works great. So obviously I want to install a thermostat so the stove will turn up and down on its own. I want to put the thermostat across the room just in the hallway so I know the whole house is being heated. I plan on running the wall down the inside the wall through the basement than back up the wall behind the stove. I didnt buy a fancy digital tstat just the one thats on the usstove website, it came with little instructions, just tells you how to wire the tstat, so my question is what kind of wire do I use and how do I hook it up to the stove. I took the back off and looked at the circuit board and seen there was a female plug in that looks likes one you you would plug a old wire telephone into, is that where I would plug into?

Forum member Owen1508 is a US stove tech ... hopefully he will catch this tomorrow. Welcome to the forum!

Reactions: pez3078
I don't understand why this information is so hard to come by. People at stores are no help, the conpany is no help, this forum has been no help.

Use basic stat wire, 18/2 should be fine. Take a pic of the circuit board on the stove.

Last edited:
I don't understand why this information is so hard to come by. People at stores are no help, the conpany is no help, this forum has been no help.

You are obviously impatient. This board can be a big help...if you let it.

That 'telephone' plug is for diagnostics, not a t'stat. If you look in your owners manual it will instruct you to pull the factory installed jumper and attach the t'stat wires to the jumper terminals. That will allow the t'stat to assume control of the stove, however, it will only control the stove from HR1 (low range) to the highest heat range you preset. No more and no less.

Handle the removed board carefully and unplug the stove prior to removing the board, it has 110 volts readily accessible to your fingers....lol It's also vunerable to static electricity damage so ground your self. Pull the jumper and attach the t'stat wires to the spade terminals (you'll have to crimp on spade terminal femal ends to the t'stat leads).

A word of caution. To avoid the possibility of a fried board (and big expense), pull the t'stat wires and unplug the unit every spring. Electrical (lightning) storms during the summer can induce stray current in the t'stat wires and fry your board, even if the stove is unplugged. Don't ask me how I know, lets just say I'm 350 bucks wiser..

Status
Not open for further replies.