Wiring two stage thermostate to new boiler install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hartkem

Jan 24, 2012
KC
I finally filled my system yesterday and I am now ready to start with the control side. As always I need help from you guys. I purchased a 2 stage heat thermostat that I would like to control my propane furnace and secondary circulator pump/furnace fan. I have an adjustable thermostatic switch screwed into the top of my storage tank and a 24volt / 120 volt relay. My furnace has a 24volt transformer inside and I just ran new thermostat wire with 8 circuits inside. I was planning on putting the thermoswitch and relay in series with the first stage heat(W1) so I could control that circuit based on storage temperature. I was going to wire W1 to the Fan on circuit on the furnace control board so W1 would turn on the fan only but it looks like it would back feed the green wire (G) circuit. When I ordered the relay and thermoswitch I didn't completely understand how a thermostat worked. I didn't realize that the thermostat closed the fan contact (G) and the heat(w) contact at the same time for heat the the same for cooling, (G) and (Y). I thought it only closed (W) or (Y) and the furnace controlled the fan on its own. Since this is not the case I have the issue with backfeeding on the (G) fan wire. Hope I didn't confuse everyone.

I came up with this. Im a little concerned about the furnace thermostat board being able to handle the load of the relay coil on the thermostat on the right. What do you all think

Attachments

• IMG00045-20120723-1128.jpg
    IMG00045-20120723-1128.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 391
I think I misunderstood how the heat mode works. I assumed the thermostat turned on the heat (w) and fan (G) but since this is a propane and not electric I believe only heat (W) turns on. The furnace then turns on the fan on its own when the temp is high enough. I simplified the circuit a bunch but still concerned about the Furnace circuit board handling the draw of the primary relay coil.boiler.JPG

What make and model furnace do you have?

Most newer gas furnaces energize from r-w on a call for heat and r-y&g for cooling. In heating mode the furnace board will energize the burner circuit and the blower on is controlled by a fan timer built into the board.

We usually install a separate thermostat for heating in "wood mode" and energize the G terminal only by using an isolation relay to take Y out of the system. Been a while since I have done one but it seems like I have installed a DPDT switch to go from summer (cooling mode) to winter (wood heating mode) .

I don't think a normal two stage stat is going to accomplish what you want to do. You'll wind up with both heating modes running at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.