Wisconsin stacks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

northwinds

Minister of Fire
Jul 9, 2006
south central WI
Here are two photos of my wood processing and stacking area--all hand-split.
Unseen are the five cords in the pole shed for this winter. My piles aren't pretty,
but they don't seem to ever fall down. Not really sure how many cords are here,
but it's at least 2-3 more years worth of burning.

The other shot is the view from my sitting stump of the Wisconsin countryside.
I spend a lot of time up on this hill splitting wood and overlooking the marsh
and farms below.

Attachments

• photo5.jpg
    photo5.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 923
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 928
  • photo8.jpg
    photo8.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 936
northwinds, really nice setup and pics. I did a business trip wisconsin and its a cool place. Just nice folks everywhere which we really treasured.

Looks nice northwinds. Nothing like a good view. That handsplitting is really good exercise. I enjoy it when I have maybe 1-3 face cord. More than that, I like to borrow the neighbors splitter. They have a home made electric job. Very little noise and lots of power. Turn the radio on and enjoy. The last time I waited until I had 10-11 face cord and borrowed it. Bucked it all up to 23" long. Then split it all quickley. Have a good one.

Great view, great stacks. Ahh, yes, Wisconsin- Illinois's largest state park. ;-)

maxed_out said:
northwinds, really nice setup and pics. I did a business trip wisconsin and its a cool place. Just nice folks everywhere which we really treasured.

They have "business" in Wisconsin? :p Nice stacks... beautiful country! ;-)

Picture perfect, looks like the new place is working out well for you.

I think any stack that stands up more than a few months is pretty.

Very nice! And I like the Pampas Grass. Have to get me some of that one of these days.

Thanks, folks.

Yes, the new place really feels like home after a year. I've got about 2
acres of woods. A neighbor has another ten acres and encourages
me to get in with my atv/trailer and clean up anything that's laying on
the ground.

northwinds said:
A neighbor has another ten acres and encourages
me to get in with my atv/trailer and clean up anything that's laying on
the ground.
Nice stash, nice pics! I spent my first three decades in WI...beautiful country.
Lots of good stuff to be found on the ground. I just grabbed an Ash that was suspended off the ground nicely. Bark mostly fallen off, solid wood at 18% and ready for the stove. Nice thing is, you can make big splits if you want, or keep some rounds to burn. I also got a small Red/Black Oak branch with all the sapwood rotted off. Damn stuff still isn't quite dry. :lol:

northwinds, it is easy to understand why you spend a lot of time there. A great place to meditate for sure.

northwinds said:
Here are two photos of my wood processing and stacking area--all hand-split.
Unseen are the five cords in the pole shed for this winter. My piles aren't pretty,
but they don't seem to ever fall down. Not really sure how many cords are here,
but it's at least 2-3 more years worth of burning.

The other shot is the view from my sitting stump of the Wisconsin countryside.
I spend a lot of time up on this hill splitting wood and overlooking the marsh
and farms below.

northwinds, looks like a great place, nice job on the wood.

zap

IM jealous of that piece of property. looks good.

Nothing wrong with those stacks :)

I saw alot of them, when I was in Portage, a few years back. Lovely country !

Those stacks look to be in a primo spot for drying, on top of the hill and getting the full force of any wind.

Nice view - both of the wood and of the valley.
Would you post a pic of your pole barn, too? I'm drawing up plans as we speak, and all ideas are welcome!
Thanks again.

maplewood said:
Nice view - both of the wood and of the valley.
Would you post a pic of your pole barn, too? I'm drawing up plans as we speak, and all ideas are welcome!
Thanks again.

The pole sheds came with the place. You can see the pics of the outbuildings here:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/55155/

One of the pics shows the patch of ground before the current stacks were put there.

Thanks for all of the nice comments in this thread. I've traveled quite a bit, but can't imagine
living anywhere other than Wisconsin at this stage of my life (advanced middle age with kids).

Looks like a place to grow old at. :) Nice job on those stacks. Anybody that can split that much by hand deserves nothing but respect.

Nice pics . . . thanks for sharing.

Since the title of the thread is Wisconsin stacks, here are mine;

IMG_4653.jpg

IMG_4655.jpg

I guess I don't have that northwinds gift!

This is actually the stack that got taken out a while back by a 25" at the butt x 60' "branch" that fell on it.

wendell said:
Since the title of the thread is Wisconsin stacks, here are mine;

I guess I don't have that northwinds gift!

This is actually the stack that got taken out a while back by a 25" at the butt x 60' "branch" that fell on it.

Ok, I'll play along too. Here are some of my Wisconsin stacks.......HAHAHAHA!
IMG_7691%2520%2528800x600%2529.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.