Wiseway gravity stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stempy

Nov 21, 2015
ILet me give you some related wood burning background. Living in central NH we have always burned wood, not for any other reasons than cost and just always done it. For two years we used two outside wood fired air furnaces to heat two commercial buildings, another costly bad idea. We burned in excess of twenty cord per year. We recently purchased a Wiseway pellet stove to replace an old and small Russo box stove that we have used for years. The Russo heated our small 1000 square foot living area on the coldest NH winter days to 70 plus degrees. The Russo was hooked to a masonry with two flues, the wood stove using the larger 8"X12" flue. The chimney is two stories I would guess 23'. It has always had an excellent draft, never measured it, but you can here that thing pulling and NEVER had any backdraft issues. OK so on to the Wiseway experience. The Wiseway (now owned by US Stove) people recommend soft pellets. Difficult to find here in NH and when you do find the highest rated one, Vermont Pellet for instance, they are very expensive and usually sold out with a waiting list. We have been trying mixed and hardwood the most recent ,a softwood, INFERNO, ash 0.7 fines 0.5. The issue has been the loss of performance within just a couple hours. A clean stove will only get to about 650 degree stack temp and even when you leave the stove full bore it consistently drops temperature. If you idle it at low it smolders and builds creosote and nearly goes out. Well early this morning it nearly turned to disaster. You would actually have to see one of these stoves to understand how it functions but it has a removable primary burn chamber with a removable burn basket. The combustion air is somewhat adjustable with a dial on the face of the burn chamber then there is a slide on the exit side of the burn chamber with holes that pull in ambient air stalling the draft and cooling the stack temp. We when you burn with the slide closed (full draft no ambient air post combustion chamber) it pulls ash in to the stove stack which reduces performance. So I bent up some heavy wire (ok a coat hanger) that I slide under the burn basket and pull down the ash in the stove stack so the stove will somewhat maintain a 300 degree stack temp and sort of heat the house. Let me back up a bit here. Yesterday when I cleaned the stove I could not get the burn chamber out, it was held tight by solid creosote built up all around it and the cavity where it fits, I did not pull the ash down that day with my ash removal device (ok a bent coat hanger). Ok so you get what is going on here? Don't pull the ash out while running the stove loses performance and eventually creosote develops all the way to the external part of the burn chamber. Back to this morning. I had widened out the end of the wire to grab more of the stack floor to pull the ash out and it caught the burn basket and would not release and come out. While trying to get it out I dislodged the entire burn chamber and pulled it partially out of the chamber, the chamber filled with new pellets which started to ignite. I had to pull it completely out while it was still burning with only one welding glove (could not find the other) and throw it outside. Fire alarm is going of my dogs are barking and pellets are burning in the open stove. Pulled the pellet feed shut off down and just kept pulling pellets out and bringing them outside. It was with the last batch of these pellets I felt condensation between the bags when I picked them up at Lowes which probably contributed to the creosote but this thing is a nightmare. It is off now and I am going to try to get a different pellet. These things a very sensitive to the pellet you are burning and at this point I wish I did not get involved with Wiseway. I am open to any help/information. Thanks Jon

Attachments

• Scanned_20151121-0739.pdf
    315.7 KB · Views: 235
Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah your experience seem fairly common from what I've read.

X2 with what reallyte states. They look neat and I researched them aways back but I just don't feel they have them perfected yet. Wish they would and the price wasn't as high. Look throughout the internet because I did run across stuff about them. Try Youtube also. i think there were some videos there but might be the guy trying to sell them. I can't remember.

I am using a Wiseway for the first time this season here in CT, after burning cord wood in either a Waterford, Hearthstone or Vermont Casting for the last 28 years. All I can say is find softwood pellets or you'll have a very difficult time with your stove.

The first thing I did once my stove was delivered in May was lock down an ample supply of Okanagan Doug Fir and Platinum (spruce). The stove was designed for softwood pellets and after experimenting with everything from Barefoot to cheap Home Depot hardwood pellets all I can say is you'll never get satisfaction from this stove unless you use softwood.

I am very pleased with the performance of my Wiseway 1949GW. Armed with a couple of small Ecofans, this stove shows all signs of being more than able as a replacement for my other woodstoves. I'm sorry to hear you're not having the same luck with your stove.

Also, I looked at your photo and have to say these stoves don't seem to like 90 degree angles in the vent pipe. I installed mine using only two 45 degree elbows. The pipe went through the wall via a 12" Dura Vent thimble ending in a 4" VacuStack.

My stove goes from cold to 450 degrees in less than 8 minutes. It takes about 12 minutes to get to 650 degrees. At that point I dial it back to between 400-450 degrees using the damper.

I adjusted the space between the bars in the primary burn basket per the instructions. This was after my first burns were simply too hot (damper fully open and temps still well above 500 degrees). Now, every once in awhile, during the burn, I stuff a nail puller down the path the pellets take to make sure they are dropping down into the primary burn basket sufficiently. I also use a 12 inch long drill bit to poke at the pellets burning in the basket and I also pull out the secondary burn tray as well. These things have developed into something if a habit to ensure the stove burns well and temperatures remain high. Yes, this is more than what you'd have to do with a typical pellet stove but nothing like what you'd be doing with a conventional woodstove.

When I experimented with hardwood pellets I was able to get the stove up to temperature just about as quickly. The problems mounted when I left the stove for periods of over an hour or two. Overnight, without poking the burn basket, clearing the tray or using the nail puller to help the pellets descend into the burn basket, the temps would drop to 300 or lower. With that, creosote built up and in the morning I'd be scrapping the primary burn chamber and chipping away at creosote where the pellets descend. Not good.

I had nothing like this occur with the Okanagan Platinums.

Status
Not open for further replies.