Wish I could find an Alderlea T6

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sbohlen

Sep 18, 2008
Mid Coast Maine
It's been great reading this forum. I am really getting excited about putting an Alderlea T6 in my house. I odered one a few weeks ago with an expected delivery date of Oct. 1 I just learned the backorder has been extended to December and maybe even January. HELP. I cant wait that long. It's geting cold up here. Seems like these have become popular stoves on the east coast.

Thanks. Winnepeg is just a litle out of my driving range. I have called around to all the stove shops in Maine/NH that are listed in the PE dealer finder. All give me delvery times ranging from 8 weeks (no guarantee) to next year. It seems all the shops in the NE get thier PE stoves from one distibuter in New Hampshire. I guess these arent the kind of things stores keep in inventory. I was hoping to find someone with a T6 "in the back" that I could pick up right away. The weather calls for a hard frost tomorrow night. The Chimney Sweep Shop says 3 weeks to my house so he may be my best option. The shipping to Maine is a killer though. Good things come to those who wait I guess. In the mean time, i will continue to drool over all the threads about how much everyone loves the T6.

BTW.. Does anyone know of any regulations restricting the purchase of a stove in Canada and transporting it accross the border to the US. there may be some dealers in NB that have them. Are the Canadian stoves exactly the same?

Maybe worth a call, it is my understanding that this company (BAC) is the North East distributor. There is also a stove store adjacent that may be worth a call as well i believe it is Amanda's, search the yellowpages.com in Hudson, NY

BAC Sales
1871 Route 9H
Hudson, New York
USA 12534
phone: 800-873-1330

Old House said:
BTW.. Does anyone know of any regulations restricting the purchase of a stove in Canada and transporting it accross the border to the US. there may be some dealers in NB that have them. Are the Canadian stoves exactly the same?

As far as I know, there isn't any restrictions. A few people who have submitted reviews on hearth.com have come to Canada to purchase them.

The Canadian stoves have METRIC flue collars and won't work in the U.S.....Just kidding!:)

The only real difference between the Pacific Energy Stoves sold in Canada and the U.S. is the selling price. They are generally a bit less $$$ up here in Canada.

One week wait in BC.

Still searching. Thanks for the suggestions. I was wondering how T6 users were loading thier wood. The depth of the firebox seems to suggest that logs can be loaded into the stove from front to back instead of sideways. Can this be done and does the stove burn OK. This would make loading the stove easier and it seems to me this would prevent the wood from accidentally falling out of the front.

Old House said:
The depth of the firebox seems to suggest that logs can be loaded into the stove from front to back instead of sideways. Can this be done and does the stove burn OK.

Yes it can, and yes it does. ;-)
With the straight-in loading you can fill the sucker right up to the top for those cold nights........If you get any where you are.

When we were shopping around, we were told that many front-opening fire boxes are now made for straight-in loading, as it is preferred. You don't have to try to work the log around into sideways position, getting burnt fingers in the process. It's taken some getting used to, as the firebox looks deceptively small from the front, like our logs aren't going to fit. But they always do.... it's amazing. And with the T6, your firebox is wider than mine so you've got lots of room to manuever.

It's chilling down here a bit so I built another small fire this morning... wow this thing burns nicely. What a beautiful stove! I'm so happy we got the Alderlea.

Oh man!! I cant wait. It went down to 28F here last night. Sure wish I had the T6 going. I stopped in to the store that I ordered from to play with the floor model and it was gone!! They sold it. I should have asked them to sell it to me when I ordered.

All of my wood is about 16 inches which is what I needed for the Clarion. It is split twice to about 5 inch diameter. I hope the T6 doesnt chew it up too quickly. Next years wood will be a little longer and split once to about 8".

Ugh... what a pain to have trouble getting the thing. We started this process back in March and had it completed in May... glad we did since demand seems to be exceeding supply. But the hard part was waiting all summer before we could use it!

This morning, I just had a small fire... I literally put in just three pieces of fir, about 5" in diameter and about 18" long. That was good for a nice 2-hour long fire... I couldn't believe how little wood it needed. This thing burns so efficiently... I could have never done that in our old stove. I'm just amazed with it. And the cast iron shell really retains a lot of heat for a long period of time.

Im so jealous. Ive read on other threads that it takes awhile for the Alderlea to come up to temperature. Elfin, were you able to get some good heat out of it during a 2 hour long fire? Is it pretty easy to start? I travel alot so my wife will be running the stove while I am gone. Do you have the fan on yours? Sorry for all the questions.

The T6 is replacing my Clarion so once it comes in, its just a matter of swapping them out. I plan to burning in it 60 minutes after it arrives in the dooryard.

Old House said:
Still searching. Thanks for the suggestions. I was wondering how T6 users were loading thier wood. The depth of the firebox seems to suggest that logs can be loaded into the stove from front to back instead of sideways. Can this be done and does the stove burn OK. This would make loading the stove easier and it seems to me this would prevent the wood from accidentally falling out of the front.

Yes you can. There's lots of room to play around with. I've done a couple fires so far where I load front to back (north south) and then the next load sideways (east/west). The sideways load burns a little slower which is nice for a refill fire.

Thanks BeGreen. It's nice to have the flexibility. When I was shopping I thought the lack of an alternate loading door (top or side) was a drawback. Seems that it's not after all.

You know, it does seem to take it a bit more time to get warm and start cranking out some heat due to the cast iron shell. However, once it's warm it stays warm for a very long time... with a 2-hour fire I brought the living area up from 65 degrees to 72 degrees, very easily. It hasn't been cold enough out yet for the true test, but based on past performance of our pellet stove w/blower, the Alderlea heats up the room just as quickly and maintains the heat at least 2x as long. We do not have a blower or even a fan. Normally we have a ceiling fan to help with circulation but it started spewing sparks last week and needless to say, it's been removed and we are going to be shopping for a new one :(

It is super easy to start a fire... you don't have to leave the door open or nurse it along at all, it just takes off. With our old woodstove, and our pellet stove, it took a little more skill to get the fire started. It seems to me that the air circulation inside it just coaxes the fire along... I don't think your wife will have any trouble with it at all.

Yes, the stove is very wife friendly. That was a key motivation in getting the stove. Simple is good.

Found one in Canada. They sure pay alot of tax in Canada. With the GST it puts the stove over $3K after the exchange.

Well. It looks like I may be contributing to your healthcare soon.

Old House said:
Im so jealous. Ive read on other threads that it takes awhile for the Alderlea to come up to temperature. Elfin, were you able to get some good heat out of it during a 2 hour long fire? Is it pretty easy to start? I travel alot so my wife will be running the stove while I am gone. Do you have the fan on yours? Sorry for all the questions.

The T6 is replacing my Clarion so once it comes in, its just a matter of swapping them out. I plan to burning in it 60 minutes after it arrives in the dooryard.

1. Extremely easy to start, both with a 1/4 section of the free sample of super cedars (the dog started salivating thinking they were "gainesburgers"- I'm sold on these as well for firestarting-much easier than fatwood) or a sheet of newspaper and small spilts.

2. Does take a bit to get up to temp from a cold start. Heat is very gentle, and long lasting, no "sunburn", and heat seems to distribute fine without a stove fan, ceiling fans do add to the distribution.

3. Though I have only built a few smaller fires, it seems takes an hour or two to get the convection really going. Not the stove for quick warm up type fires. But I think with the T6's design, and after learning the stoves characteristics, it will be a primo 24/7 heat source and will not roast you out of the room.

You will be sucking down some brews for at least 60 mins after lugging the T6 into position, have at least 2 helpers and a lifting mechanism!

fire pics of the t6: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/23542/

I just got mine moved up to the second floor via a boom truck as the stairs were too narrow for a dolly or four guys. I tried to take a pic of my flying T6 but of course the digital camera batteries are crap.
I have been scuttling mine around with a motorcycle lift.
Pad goes in next week and then mid October for a chimney.

I think you can get your tax back if you apply. I bought a generator in WA and talked the store out of state tax cause I was going to get dinged with GST at the border.

Status
Not open for further replies.