Wish I had my chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wingsfan

Feeling the Heat
Dec 1, 2008
Jackson,Mi.
It is finally starting to feel like winter here in Michigan. I bought an englander30 about a month ago. Haven't got the chimney yet. Now it 25 outside, got the stove in the basement and the furnace is running, Sheeesh.

Winter is almost over. I've had mine in the garage all winter, saving for a liner. Liner coming next week. It is 32 outside this morning, and will warm into 60's this afternoon. Valley weather changes quickly,. it will be over 100 in a month or two.

Winter is almost over.....for some areas. We never count on winter being over in MI this early. I've also seen some of the worst of winter in March and that includes, snow, ice and very cold (below zero) temperatures. So wingsfan, I can certainly understand how you feel. Well, you can always look forward to next winter. lol

Congrats with the new stove.

I do not think winter is over yet.

Backwoods Savage said:
Winter is almost over.....for some areas. We never count on winter being over in MI this early. I've also seen some of the worst of winter in March and that includes, snow, ice and very cold (below zero) temperatures. So wingsfan, I can certainly understand how you feel. Well, you can always look forward to next winter. lol

+1 . . . I figure sometime in April or May MAY be the last of the fires . . . but you never know. Hell, I had a fire one time on July 2nd or 3rd (but that was kind of a crazy, wet and cold summer.)

I am in the same boat. My stove is in the basement and I am getting my butt kicked by the chimney. I wanted to go outside with class A, but need to offset the chimney to miss a gas vent up above a few feet. None of the pipe I can buy locally has documentation for an exterior install with an offset. So, today I carefully investigated the ceiling in the chase where I plan to put my stove and found I am going to have to make structural framing changes if I am to run my class A on the interior. Grrrrrrr. It is still do-able, just going to take a lot of extra work and time.

We burnt clear into the middle of May last year and the year before. And like Backwoods Savage and firefighterjake said, I too can remember some of the biggest snowstorms and coldest nastiest weather we have ever had happening around the middle of March. How do I remember that? Because it always happened around my birthday on the 15th. I hope we get at least one big whopper of a snowstorm sometime this month, I have to say I'm a bit dissappointed in mother nature this year. Glad I didn't hit the locust in my stack yet, I would have had to restack it elsewhere because this winter wasn't even close to being worthy of burning it all....

Sorry, not trying to hijack this thread, but does anyone remember March, 1976? That was the biggest and worst ice storm I've ever seen. Some places were without power over 2 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.